P-40E Project

liquorboxracing

I have started a few builds based on the aircraft displayed in the National Museum of the United States Air Force. Since it's in my backyard I am able to study these planes when ever needed. One of my favorites since I was a kid has been the Curtiss P-40E painted like Capt Bruce Hollaway's plane. Though not actually Capt Hollaways plane it still depicts a great story about a very special American.

I started with the 1/72 Academy P-40E kit. I made the radiator flaps so they would appear opened, and shaved off the homeing beacon reciever mast. I added an exhaust set from quickboost, and PE gun sights from Eduards. The remaining build is box stock with the exception of tape seat harness'. The decals all went on flawlessly with the exception of the number decals wich for some reason silvered. I didn't really notice it until I topcoated the plane. I still have one decal left to make for this build I am debating on making. The plane has a marking under the right rear canopy glass that says Capt. Chuck Doyle. This was put on the plane because Capt. Chuck Doyle donated this P-40 and a few other aircraft to the museum. So his name appears on several of the aircraft on display.

Here are a few pics.
BruceHollawaysP-40E007.jpg

BruceHollawaysP-40E005.jpg

BruceHollawaysP-40E003.jpg

BruceHollawaysP-40E001.jpg

Latest posts

Back