Ostwind with schurzen?

f2k

Looking through my bitz'n'pices box for Flames of War I came across several sprues with Panzer IV schurzen.

As I have a couple of Ostwind tanks stuck on the assembly line I started toying with the idea of fitting schurzen to one of them - just for fun, you see.

But I cannot see any historical reference to this ever being done. As far as I can see, most of them were actually refurbished Panzer IV's, presumably retrofitted with the Tiger I turret-ring, so surely some of them would have had brackets for schurzen mounted?

But was this ever done? Or were schurzen always removed when a Panzer IV was converted to anti-aircraft use?

Just a guess but, since they weren't spearhead front-line combat vehicles like tanks, they wouldn't face the same threat from anti-tank rifles the schurzen were intended for. Anything deemed unnecessary was probably removed in the conversion.

Would look cool though.

Just how close to the front did such units typically get? Weren't they supposed to be able to keep up with the Panzers (hence why the guns were mounted on a tank) and to be able to engage in combat (hence the armoured compartment for the crew)?

Considering how chaotic the German production was during the final stages of the war, who knows what would happen with tanks cycling in and out of the factories? Just how extensive was the refurbishment needed to turn a Panzer IV into an Ostwind?

I could actually see it happening with a Wirbelwind as that used the standard Panzer IV turret ring. But as the Ostwind needed a larger ring fitted, presumably it couldn't have been a hurried botch job.

Oh well...

It sure would look cool. But one of the reasons I'm into Flames of War is the historical aspect, so I try too keep it as accurate as I can. And I just can't find any evidence suggesting the deployment of Ostwinds with schurzen still attached.

Try Missing-Lynx Axis Discussion Group. Somebody might know something.

Like I said, that was my guess. Considering how thin the armor was on the Ostwind turrets, those would have needed schurzen too. :p

Latest posts

Back