Old Zaku, nearly complete

tetsujin

I've been working on this guy lately - I think I'm just going to add clear lenses to the rifle scope and call it done...
serious_zaku.jpg

For those who aren't familiar with Gundam: it's a robot show that aired in 1979 in Japan. It's hailed among its fans for being one of the first and most prominent examples of giant robots being portrayed in a gritty, wartime setting. Most of the trappings of the "super robot" genre are gone or at least toned down - and instead you have a lot of regular soldiers piloting mass-produced giant robots - and the alien invaders from most "super robot" shows are replaced with a murderous fascist regime who have bent the idealism of the space emigrants to their own purposes. Gundam was the first big success in this genre, known as "real robot".

...And yet, it's still all so silly, isn't it? This is the same show where the primary-colors hero robot does mid-air conversions, docks with a flying platform thing, takes down the enemy robots in one-shot kills. Add to that the fact that a lot of the mecha designs were created with a cheap TV animation budget in mind, and that the model kits introduced their own set of distortions, and it's a bit hard to take them seriously....

But still, people did (and still do) take the Zaku seriously. In the early 1980s, Bandai released versions of the kits in "Real Type" colors - the same goofy molds, but with a decal sheet containing a bunch of markings, and instructions suggesting various, less-vibrant color schemes.

This build is meant to invoke that "Real Type" style - and generally the whole idea of a comically bad rendition of a silly design being taken way too seriously by the modeler. :)

Haha! Nice description. I really like your Zaku, even though it's not my favourite Gundam design. I do love the Armored Core mechs much more, anyway. But you did a really nice paintjob on it. Good Idea to paint it more realistically, since the Gundams often come in very cheezy candy colors. But once painted like world war 2 tanks, they look really gorgeous!

elend said:
Haha! Nice description. I really like your Zaku, even though it's not my favourite Gundam design. I do love the Armored Core mechs much more, anyway. But you did a really nice paintjob on it. Good Idea to paint it more realistically, since the Gundams often come in very cheezy candy colors. But once painted like world war 2 tanks, they look really gorgeous!

Well, the idea for the paintjob goes pretty much directly back to the old "Real Type" stuff:
Real Type Zaku
Real Type Gundam
Looking back at that stuff I think it's fun to think about somebody building one of those old kits in the early 1980s in that kind of style... Did they think the kits looked goofy? What kinds of elaborate builds did people do with these kits?

I was also kind of inspired by what I like to think of as the "Maschinen Krieger" effect: that just about anything looks cool if you paint it like a tank and weather it. :) 'Course, it works better with smaller-scale objects - things you can put in a scene with reasonably-sized human figures and recognizable scenery...

Some things definitely went wrong with this project, but I'm OK with it. This is definitely not a project in which I sought perfection. (Just look at that left hand... XD)

I also love the Armored Core line... Back in 2001 I played Armored Core 2 and it seemed to me like the perfect idea for a game for people who like mecha models - 'cause you could build and paint the robot and then go blow stuff up with it. :) So I was pretty psyched when Koto finally released injection kits of AC designs. Not only are they kits of designs from one of my all-time favorite videogames, they're also very nice-looking kits as well. I haven't managed to finish one yet but I have one that's nearly ready for paint so hopefully I'll have that one done within the next couple of weeks.

I haven't managed to finish one yet but I have one that's nearly ready for paint so hopefully I'll have that one done within the next couple of weeks.
Oh yes! Would love to see that. I recently bought two Armored Core kits for only 10 USD each on ebay.de. I dunno why they were so cheap, because the kits are incredible. I am looking forward to build them.

Here you can have a look at some of the parts, which I photographed for a mate of mine: www.andersdenkend.com/zwischenraum/Modellbau/Kit_Reviews/Mirage/

so is this an older kit? cause it looks like maybe an older one and which company put this out it looks great :)

MrNatural said:
so is this an older kit? cause it looks like maybe an older one and which company put this out it looks great :)

Yeah, the original issue of this kit was in 1980 or 1981. It's a Bandai kit, it's been in fairly steady production for nearly thirty years. (I think I bought mine last year...) And, of course, Bandai has made a couple new versions of (more or less) the same kit since then:

1:100 Zaku comparison: 1980 vs. 2007

I've also been working on a scratch build of a redesign of the Zaku which originated in 1989: the Zaku Kai...

Latest posts

Back