Oil vs acrylic wash

danimal518

I've got a question about the difference between oil and acrylic washes. I've heard that you should put a drop or two of dishwashing detergent into an acrylic wash to break the surface tension. Is this something that should also be added to an oil wash?

I just bought some Vallejo model wash, aside from it being acrylic, how is it different from an oil paint wash thinned with mineral spirits?

No, don't put dish soap into oil. There are different glaze products, depending on the finish you are looking for. if you are looking to do an overall wash with oil, I would just thinner. If you are looking to blend the oil later, use a glaze medium.

Acrylic, also has different glazing products. If you are looking to blend the acrylic like oil, W&N makes a nice glaze fluid for watercolor that works well. Some of the products may be listed as extenders, these work well to make washes/glazes

Maybe others can expand a little more on this.

Hope that helped
Steve

danimal518 said:
I've got a question about the difference between oil and acrylic washes. I've heard that you should put a drop or two of dishwashing detergent into an acrylic wash to break the surface tension. Is this something that should also be added to an oil wash?

I just bought some Vallejo model wash, aside from it being acrylic, how is it different from an oil paint wash thinned with mineral spirits?

The Vallejo model wash can be used right out of the bottle. It's a true acrylic paint that can be thinned with water. I haven't used it as I prefer oil and enamel based washes. For me, they are easier to manipulate. That's not to say acrylic washes are bad, I just prefer the methods I'm accustomed to.

I find the Vallejo washes really good if you want to 'wash and walk away' as you can come back later and clean it up with water and it does not 'bite' into clearcoats like some enamels can if left.
I have also been known to use it to tint acrylic paints a shade darker or lighter as well as thinning when trying (key word there is trying) to paint skin tones etc

It also smells a lot better :)

That is one of the reasons I like the Vallejo washes as well. You can pretty much slather it on, and go back and clean it up with a damp q-tip.

Ok, maybe slather it on is a bit much, but you don't have to be as careful with it.

While you can do the same with enamels, like Webby said, they can bite into the undercoat more and be harder to clean up at times depending on what they are going over.

Latest posts

Back