noobs corner

Phaze

Hi, I am new to the forums and new to the hobby of modelling and I think I can bring a bit of a fresh perspective to these forums in one area: where do the noobs start?

I have been a forum junkie for years and I love how forums are great outlets of expressions. I have definitely learned so much in whatever type of forums I'm in. A month or so ago I decided to take up modeling with clear goals in mind (I want to build a big huge sailboat, one of those few hundred jobbies) and to build up modeling skills in the meantime to work towards the goal. I found this forum site and have gotten so many ideas. The content is awesome and I'm learning so much just from reading.

The biggest problem I'm experiencing is this growing gap from beginner to intermediate steps that I'm sure you all have gone through years ago. I feel that some of the questions I have could be better contained in its own forum category that centers on Beginner's Questions. It would be here I could ask questions that are very noobish. I think that having a noob section may reduce the unnecessary clutter in the build section, and it would help the video makers know what kind of help video's are needed. For the new modeler, it would be an area where we would feel comfortable asking our stupid questions and not interrupting the flow of the established areas

Thank you for reading this and thanks for the site

Just remember, there are no stupid questions, so don't be afraid to ask us something that you might think is trivial or a dumb question. We are all here to help!

I understand that, but the questions I have are right out of the box so to speak. I think it may be valuable to just have a dumping grounds for questions that don't really belong in any other place.

for example:

What is the difference between model manufacturers? What can I expect? If I wanted to do {X} to a model, should I buy this one or this one?
How do I mix colors? (I'm color-blind and maybe there is someone out there that is too and can give me advice)
I know I should sand/prime/putty/etc. What are my options of doing it? what are specific techniques? I know you should use sandpaper from lowest number to highest and I think the lowest should be around 240 (whatever that means hahaha)
I'm really unhappy with my paint job, where did I go wrong? What should I do? (on my second model I went layer after layer and still can't get it looking good, now its looking clumpy. can I strip it? how do I do that?)

Questions like these, just for beginners to get a bit of an idea what to ask and what to do

I'll just add that there are no noob questions :) . This hobby is constantly evolving. There are new products and new techniques appearing all the time so there are always new things to learn.

As for your questions,

There are indeed plenty of differences between manufactures but it depends on what you want to do. If you are in doubt just post in the forum that you want to do this or that with what characteristics and people will help you out. I can give you a simple example, I'm planning on doing a Portuguese army Leopard tank, and just yesterday I was speaking with someone that knows allot on that subject that told me that for that particular subject the hobby boss kit is the best. It's just impossible to generalize so just decide what you want to do and go from there :)

Sorry I can't help you with mixing :(

Sand prime and putty are some of the main cornerstones of modelling and whole books have been written on that subject :p You will need to be more specific. As for 240 that is the grit of the sandpaper, or the size of the particles that make it up. Basically the lower the number the rougher it is.

About your painting questions again there are books on the subject and it's impossible to go over that in one thread :p But post your troubles with pictures in the forum and people will help you out.

Latest posts

Back