Nice Contest

Carsenault

WOW, the SMA Big Spring Contest is big, and here's me thinking I need a new airbrush.

Thanks Scott for hosting this shindig and to all the sponsors too. This should be fun, Ill be submitting my entry early next week. Im also working on my entry for Norm Sheppards 1/48 Hurricane/Spitfire build-off for Cams.

I know right? I've been wanting to get a Velocity in like forever myself. I dunno if a moderator can enter though so I don't think I would be joining it anyway. BUT let's get this contest to take offm tell your friends! :)

BTW Carsenault, your sig disturbs in ways I don't think anyone can understand. I sit there starting at it for a very long time, In fact, I'mma go stare at it some more. The pattern MUST break.

Yeah, he started off with a big one. I am thinking of more than one entry myself. ;D

The only thing I can see wrong, is what is Scott going to do for the next one? This one will be hard to top.

Wow yes, awesome. Incredible amount of prizes and categories as well. I actually can't decide what to build?! :-\ "Garbage" sounds interesting, it may force me to come up with something interesting unlike "Sci-Fi" which tends to gather a lot of X-Wings and other "general" stuff. Which is great as well, though. I just hope I can make it in time.

Thanks again Scott as well as the sponsors. Awesome contest.

Thanks all.

Charlie, be sure to get in on it! DK, you can enter a build - no prob. It's a popular vote.
Grendels, plan B is already in progress! Elend! Dood. Good to hear from you. I like Garbage too, although I'm thinking sci-fi for it it sure doesn't have to be sci-fi.

I encourage you all to get in on this! This is for the Herd - to not only help grow the site but to offer some great modeling gear!

Sorry Scott I can't possibly do this one, as much as I would love to. Time constraints, and one month to finish ? Holy man!! Everyone that completes a model in 30 days is a winner!
Much as I would love an A/B or just the chance at one, I must decline. I will be looking and may still cast a vote?
If so, bribes are now being accepted.

Yeah, a month is very short, but hell... at least it'll force me to finally hurry a bit more. Also it may end up in an interesting result. ;D

Its TWO MONTHS folks. Sorry to shout. May 1st to June 30th. Lots of time ;)

So... are anime robots (Gundams, etc.) sci-fi vehicles or "figures"?

I can see the case for going either way - they're presented kind of like figures and all, but I think most of us who build 'em don't think of them as "figures"... That kind of runs counter to the whole fantasy behind them IMO.

Also, I tend to have a lot of kits that I've done some work to, but I don't consider to have actually been started because I haven't gotten far with them. A perfect example would be the VF-0 I posted on the forum a month or two ago - it's been glue-assembled and that's pretty much it. In other cases I might have a kit that's been snap-assembled only, or a kit that's had more work done than that already, but to which I'm going to add a significant amount of new work. Does the build for the contest really have to be right at the zero-point when we date-stamp it?

Figure or sci-fi will do. Your call.

The question of how far along has come up several times in email with interested modelers. I'm gonna have to make an executive decision on that one:

I'll get back to you soon.

I sent my five bucks in on the 1st, made a youtube video for this on my channel and broke the kit open that night. I've spent a couple hours each night assembling and in a couple more nights I'll be ready for primer.

Needless to say, I'm psyched!

;D

@ Plo Koon: Sweet.

@ tetsujin:
I am going to stick to the rules as described on the site:Must be a new project and a photo of unbuilt kit with a current newspaper showing date is required to keep everyone honest.

I gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere. In future contests I will consider a UFO (UnFinished Objects) category but for this contest it gotta be unbuilt.

NOTE: it does not have to be NEW in the sense that you have to buy a new kit, just a kit that you have not built...yet.

ALSO: Kit bash is ok. Scratch build is ok.

Since you are answering questions here, a couple more come to mind. How about a thread just for the contest? That way those who are interested can just read the thread instead of asking question after question.

Second, if we are scratch building, do you want a photo of our supplies, with the newspaper? There is no real "kit" to one of the entries I have planed. Just a pile of styrene, foam, a little bit of balsa, and a few figures. There will be maybe one kit piece or two. But mainly scratch built. I do have a receipt for most of the supplies which were ordered after the contest started.

I didn't get that Newspaper part. 8) But I still have to think about what I actually want to do. :(

Okay two months.
I still cannot count May as that is a huge month for me, I have already written it off as store related.
That does leave me only one month. No biggie Scott I realize a contest as this cannot go forever, I'll catch the next one. You cannot herd cats, modelers are pretty much the same, even nerd cats.

HI,
All the rules are here: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/contests/contest-rules.

For a scratch build just take a photo of your supplies with the date and send that in. Even if you don't have all of your supplies yet that will be ok.

The newspaper part is simply to show the current date.

Scott Girvan said:
The newspaper part is simply to show the current date.

You mean we can't read it to catch up on current local/world events?

BTW,

you owe me a dollar.

;D

Question(s)...Can you enter in more than one category? And is it a one time $5 fee, or $5 per entry?

;D

Scott Girvan said:
I gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere. In future contests I will consider a UFO (UnFinished Objects) category but for this contest it gotta be unbuilt.

Understandable. It's just very awkward for me 'cause very few things in my stash stay completely unbuilt until the point in time where I'm entirely ready to take on the project. I almost always do something, even if it's as little as cutting out the parts to see how everything looks together... So participating in the contest would pretty much mean putting down anything I had in the works, and almost anything I thought about ever having in the works, and working on something else...

Latest posts

Back