New WIP: 1/32 Hasegawa P-40K, SAAF, 2Sqn, 1943

blunce

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters...
***(Sorry guys, these photos aren't edited for the format on this site, so I apologize that you'll have to use the slide bar at the bottom of each posting to view each side of the picture)***

I'm building this for a friend. He built a Revell issue a long time ago (1972, and used an incorrect "E" model) in these markings, which he handpainted. He wanted to build it again, better this time, with actual decals, but unfortunately, before he could get to it, some medical issues have all but prevented him from building anything. I told him I would be honored to build it for him since he couldn't anymore.
SAAFP-40001.jpg
SAAFP-40002.jpg
SAAFP-40003.jpg
I've never been too fond of the Eduard prepainted items, mainly because the colors are usually incorrect and also because the few times I have used them, I haven't weathered the parts any. So, I decided to spray a flat clear coat over the top of all the prepainted stuff to facilitate some weathering later in the form of filters and pastels. This will 1. allow weathering, and 2. allow me to alter the color a bit if needed to get it closer to the correct color, though I don't see much if anything that will need to be altered.

The color fret as it comes from Eduard:
SAAFP-40004.jpg
and after a clear flat coat has been applied. Not sure if a difference is really noticeable in the pics, but I can see it IRL
SAAFP-40005.jpg
SAAFP-40006.jpg
SAAFP-40007.jpg
SAAFP-40008.jpg
SAAFP-40009.jpg
SAAFP-400101.jpg

This is looking really nice!!! Bummer you have all those fit problems. Some of those gaps are just ridiculous.

Kind of surprised to see that gappage on the Hase kit too. Seems blunce has it well in hand though.

Filling,sanding,scribing, and re-riveting eh blunce?? Your a way better man than me!!

I like the format you use to explain things! Keep up the great job on this blunce!

Great work. Re-establishing those rivet details is beyond me at this point. Think I'll just pour Vodka in my eyes.

This is one of the most entertainingly written WIPs I've seen yet! I feel like I just got tutored! Well done! I hope to see more like this. :)

Thanks everyone!

keep in mind, the wing root gap pictured is only what it looks like during dry fit without any fixing of the dihedral. I'll be posting the "After" picture that shows just how much better it can be with the fix pictured above.

I've got the tail section smoothed in and the panel/rivet lines that were bothering me fixed as well. More pics to come.

**Is it only possible to edit your own posts for a limited amount of time? My photoscmucket account apparently exceeded bandwidth (or so they say, the pics are still up everywhere), so I'm switching to Imgur and wanted to post the newly hosted photos here, but I'm just not seeing the "modify" button any more.

Since I apparently can't edit previous posts, the above images will return on the 7th when photoschmucket unlocks my images. In the meantime, enjoy this update courtesy of my new photo hosting service which has no bandwidth limit! ;)

(the before picture)
tLlY2.jpg
and after
AIqxG.jpg
GHpIc.jpg
ifjqT.jpg
aB8Pe.jpg

Next up: interior framing of the windshield and gunsight build up and install

Looks like a late night of repairs bud!
I like that you spray the interior, really gives depth and dimension to canopies.

Keep up the good work.

Why on erath did they make that whole section out of clear ??? doesnt make sense that one ! Rest of the build is looking tops tho' ...nice work :)

Chris.

Outstanding build and excellant attention to the details. The layout and format of your build log is top notch.

Latest posts

Back