new p51 project...

Maverick

So I just bought my first tamiya model and its a doozie. A 1/48 p51 mustang. This will be the first time I will work with a metalizer paint. I need tips. Do you pre-shade the same way? And if so that negates what some do by laying down a glossy black foundation first. Do you guys recommend this gloss black foundation? Why or why not? If so, is there still a way to pre-shade?

Next I need some advice on the cockpit. I want to get one of those aftermarket detailed cockpits. What do you guys think about this?
http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Detailing_and_Weathering/VER00001182/product.php?pg=2&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&e=0&kw=p51&sc=48
Is Verlinden a good make?

I hate to sound like a total noob here...but what exactly are "photo-etched" parts? Is that a fancy way of saying decals?

Thanks for the help
!

I will let the guys with more experience tell you about preshading as I am still learning that art myself.

As for the detail set your looking at that one looks pretty good and that is an awesome price for it as well. What they mean by photo etch parts are basically thin metal parts that can be added to a kit to greatly enhance the details example a cockpit dashboard it adds a higher level of realism to the model I find.

Here is am example of the photo etch I have for my viper and how the cockpit would look with it in hope this helps.

[size=10pt]Oh thats cool! And you can just glue and paint these metal parts the same way you would with the rest of the model?[/size]

that is correct it only requires a little prep for the most part and some are designed with a peel and stick idea I haven't used that type yet. you can also get them pre colored with details already on them as well the set's I have come with backing films so you can light them easier. You might want to check what Scott has at Elm city hobbies as well for detail parts.

Latest posts

Back