new old guy from Ohio

use2busa

Wanted to say hi. Looking forward to reading up on all the topics on this forum. Im not exactly new to model building per say. Like everyone else Ive built a lot of plastic models over the years and spent a lot of time painting them and trying to get a realistic look. All I ever used was cans of spray paint. I haven't done any in years and decided to jump back into it. especially since its winter and my other hobbies which are riding my sport bike and flying rc airplanes, are summer time hobbies. I decided to take a more detailed approach this time so I bought an airbrush with compressor. Actually I bought a bunch of stuff dealing with that. Paints cleaners etc. The airbrushes and compressor was on Amazon as a set with acrylic paint. I know they aren't the best airbrushes but they should be good enough to get started. Been watching a lot of youtube video's on the subject.

Thank you. Since I am getting started I was wondering what brand of model makers that are considered the best and those to stay away from. I am only familiar with Revell from back in the day. Any help would be great.

Meh , it's gonna depend on the kit from which manufacturer ... best to pick something out and ask .
If you're not already familiar , here's a great source for what's on the market - gives timelines for initial release , rebox etc etc :
https://www.scalemates.com/

Welcome and it's a smart move to start with a cheaper airbrush that comes with a compressor. I used a point zero combo for a year and a half or so before upgrading my airbrush. I still use the same type compressor but I got one with a small tank on it. What genre are you going to building?

Hello & welcome to the forum. What club do you fly with up in Ohio? I have been up to the Westerville Club field for a couple of scale contests, I think it's Dinneen Field? I am also an avid R/C modeler and have 3 bikes, unlike you I can ride and fly for the better part of the winter, you have much worse winter weather than I do down here in NC!
What is it you enjoy building in the plastic model world, airplanes, cars, tanks & armor? When it comes to the newer plastic kits they all are very good from what I have seen. The days of the old warped Lindburg kits are all but gone. You can't go wrong with a Tamiya kit, they are always a enjoyable build.
Larry B

Hello & welcome to the forum. What club do you fly with up in Ohio? I have been up to the Westerville Club field for a couple of scale contests, I think it's Dinneen Field? I am also an avid R/C modeler and have 3 bikes, unlike you I can ride and fly for the better part of the winter, you have much worse winter weather than I do down here in NC!
What is it you enjoy building in the plastic model world, airplanes, cars, tanks & armor? When it comes to the newer plastic kits they all are very good from what I have seen. The days of the old warped Lindburg kits are all but gone. You can't go wrong with a Tamiya kit, they are always a enjoyable build.
Larry B
I belong to the Wingmasters club here in dayton. We fly out at a park called Wegerzyn gardens ... We lease the area and it has a paved runway. Its not bad. I just got into it this year. Flying an 1800mm Ranger by fms. electric. Its been a lot of fun but getting parts has grounded me for some time because they all come from China.

I used to do the models back several years ago. I used the spray paint cans and actually got fairly detailed with it. At least I thought so.lol Big Star Trek fan so of course I built several Enterprise models. Im shocked at what they cost now. Its crazy overpriced. Other than that Im a big big fan of WW2 Planes. I have a b17G by revell right now 1/48 scale. I havent started yet. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff off Amazon in order to do it right. Airbrushes, compressor, acrylic paints. etc.

I thought it would be a good way to spend the winter months since I cant really ride or fly. I always really enjoyed the detail work involved and found it soothing to the mind. If that makes any sense. Kind of relieves the high stress from work. My favorite planes are the b17 for bombers and for fighter planes it is without a doubt the Vought F-4U Corsair. I love that plane.
I wouldn't mind doing a Cutty Sark sailing ship. large scale but I would never pay the price they want for them now. Never really looked at automobiles really but if I get into this I might eventually find myself doing one. Airbrushing is new to me so its gonna be a work in progress.

I'll bet you will be amazed at how nice a finish you'll get with an airbrush. Get several sheets of poster board to practice on, experiment with thinning the paint until you get it to spray a nice smooth finish. I think the best way to learn to airbrush is to get some paint and start spraying! The secret to keeping an airbrush in good shape is to clean, clean, and then clean some more. I have two airbrushes that are over 40 years old and still going strong, you have to take it apart and clean it up every time when you finish spraying. I buy paint thinner by the gallon just for this reason.
Most of all, have fun with it!

If you are doing aircraft I'd recommend the cheap 1/48th scale Japanese aircraft kits from Tamiya. They are far from perfect but cheap to start with and have enough detail for you to practice detailing techniques and get in the groove with your airbrush without worrying about making mistakes on a more expensive kit. Since your favorite fighter is the corsair, their corsair kits are top notch and well priced. Tamiya instructions are in my book, the best there are as far as aircraft I have built. Check out Hobbylinc.com https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-1:48-scale-plastic-model-airplanes-1:40-1:49-scale

If you are doing aircraft I'd recommend the cheap 1/48th scale Japanese aircraft kits from Tamiya. They are far from perfect but cheap to start with and have enough detail for you to practice detailing techniques and get in the groove with your airbrush without worrying about making mistakes on a more expensive kit. Since your favorite fighter is the corsair, their corsair kits are top notch and well priced. Tamiya instructions are in my book, the best there are as far as aircraft I have built. Check out Hobbylinc.com https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-1:48-scale-plastic-model-airplanes-1:40-1:49-scale
thanks i appreciate that. So what company in your opinion would be the highest quality? I like the 1/48 scale as its a bit bigger and easier to handle... from past attempts at least

thanks i appreciate that. So what company in your opinion would be the highest quality? I like the 1/48 scale as its a bit bigger and easier to handle... from past attempts at least
It depends on what you mean by highest quality. To me it's great instructions, ease of assembly, great fit, little to no flash, good exterior detail and the need for little to no putty, I hate putty, and an overall great look when completed. That leads me to the 25.00 and up Tamiya kits which have never disappointed. I can't say that about any other brand I've built, those being Hasegawa, Airfix, Academy and Revell/Monogram. I only buy non Tamiya kits if I need something Tamiya doesn't offer. I may sound like a Tamiya snob but they hit the best quality for the money mark for my needs. But that is my opinion and you may find otherwise when looking for what suits your needs, but I'd say the chances are slim. Dang now I may have to take a break after my current diorama and build an aircraft from the stash.

I like building the bigger size scale stuff, 1/32 is just a lot easier to work with than the smaller 1/48th scale. I just finished an old Revell Oscar that I picked up at an IPMS show on the bargain table. I think I paid 3 dollars for it! By todays standards its considered crude, raised panel lines & rivets etc...
I just build to have fun and relax:)

Attachments

• Oscar.jpeg
    Oscar.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 1
I like building the bigger size scale stuff, 1/32 is just a lot easier to work with than the smaller 1/48th scale. I just finished an old Revell Oscar that I picked up at an IPMS show on the bargain table. I think I paid 3 dollars for it! By todays standards its considered crude, raised panel lines & rivets etc...
I just build to have fun and relax:)

I would have to agree I think with that but all these models are expensive enough as it is so that scale is really up there. I will say though I might just have to do one just like yours at some point. The reason is that its a hayabusa.. which is funny cause that was the last bike I had before I bought my zx14r ninja... It would be kinda cool to have one...And I guess by quality I mean parts that fit together that are not warped. detail that is well done. that sort of thing. Ive seen some pics on the forum of the level of detail work you guys have done and its WAY OVER MY HEAD. I dont think I could achieve that level of detail but I just want to make sure its well made i guess

Welcome to the Herd! That Oscar is a classic! I built Revell 1/32 scale when I was a kid (in the Seventies), the Typhoon, a couple of F4Us, the P-51B and P-47D bubbletop. It really takes me back to see that one. I look forward to seeing your build!

Best regards,
Brad

Wanted to say hi. Looking forward to reading up on all the topics on this forum. Im not exactly new to model building per say. Like everyone else Ive built a lot of plastic models over the years and spent a lot of time painting them and trying to get a realistic look. All I ever used was cans of spray paint. I haven't done any in years and decided to jump back into it. especially since its winter and my other hobbies which are riding my sport bike and flying rc airplanes, are summer time hobbies. I decided to take a more detailed approach this time so I bought an airbrush with compressor. Actually I bought a bunch of stuff dealing with that. Paints cleaners etc. The airbrushes and compressor was on Amazon as a set with acrylic paint. I know they aren't the best airbrushes but they should be good enough to get started. Been watching a lot of youtube video's on the subject.
I am new to the community as well and glad to meet another new member. Looking forward to chatting with you in the forum.

Same here. I started a build on a b17 by revell. An old classic. Its slow going of course but I have found it relaxing and de-stressing which is what I need. Its never going to look like some of the work you guys produce but for me I think its going to be ok for a real first try. After thats done Im going to start of my favorite all time plane, the f4u corsair by Tamiya 1/48.

Latest posts

Back