New old guy from NY

jameslbirke

Just joined today. Hoping to get some information about converting color codes.
We have a full-size 1939 Pietenpol in storage at the Niagara Aerospace Museum in Niagara Falls. I spent a lot of time helping get it assembled. It's a parasol wing aircraft and it got me started collecting models of this type of aircraft. I am soon to get started on a 1/72 model of a 1935 PLZ-P11C Polish fighter aircraft. Having looked at the size of the parts for it, it looks like I'm going to need all the patients I can muster to put it together. I'll post some photos of my progress.

Jim Birke

Just joined today. Hoping to get some information about converting color codes.
We have a full-size 1939 Pietenpol in storage at the Niagara Aerospace Museum in Niagara Falls. I spent a lot of time helping get it assembled. It's a parasol wing aircraft and it got me started collecting models of this type of aircraft. I am soon to get started on a 1/72 model of a 1935 PLZ-P11C Polish fighter aircraft. Having looked at the size of the parts for it, it looks like I'm going to need all the patients I can muster to put it together. I'll post some photos of my progress.

Jim Birke
Welcome! Can't wait to see the progress photos.

Welcome to a great hobby, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding when you get to the finished product. Look forward to seeing your work.

Welcome to the smaller version of your hobby, Jim ;) and welcome to the Herd! I hope you share some photos of that Pietenpol!

Best regards,
Brad

Pietenpol photos after we were just about finished with it.

Attachments

• Pietenpol fuselage as we recieved it.jpg
    Pietenpol fuselage as we recieved it.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 5
  • Pietenpol in the shop 4.jpg
    Pietenpol in the shop 4.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 5
  • Pietenpol in the shop 2.jpg
    Pietenpol in the shop 2.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 3
  • Pietenpol in the shop 3.jpg
    Pietenpol in the shop 3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 3
  • Pietenpol on display 2.jpg
    Pietenpol on display 2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Pietenpol on display 1.jpg
    Pietenpol on display 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting those photos! How much of the original structure was still good, and how much had to be replaced?

The Pietenpol Was one of the 1st examples of a home built plane. You bought the plans from Bernard Pietenpol and you were on your own. James Moynahan started construction of this plane. he worked on it for several years and passed away. His brother took it over and also passed away shortly after. Bernards window donated it to our museum. When we got it, the fuselage, tail feathers, wing ribs, and spars had been completed. So all the structure was good. It also included Ford model A engine but it had no accessories. We essentially had to put the thing together which included buying a lot of missing materials and hardware. 3 of us worked 2 to 3 days a week for 4 hours each and after 3 years of effort, we finally finished the project. I kept a journal of our progress as we worked on the project. I am attaching a copy of it to this reply.

Attachments

• Pietenpol Project activity log 2.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back