New guy on the block with some questions

Crow4ever

So I received a model kit from an old friend the other day - think she picked it up at a yard sale. Unfortunately, the kit was incomplete... but it did pique my interest, and got me wanting to build again. Now, I haven't put together a model for many many years, and back then I was much younger and pretty much nothing more than a casual builder at best. So bear with me, here (and sorry if any of this was covered elsewhere).

Now with the thought firmly planted in my head, I figured I would start with a car or two, since that is what I was most familiar with back when I was building before. I picked out two cars that my father had actually owned before - the Revell '68 Mustang GT (85-4215) and the '70 Boss 429 Mustang (85-2149). I'm wanting to do the '68 in a Midnight Blue, and the '70 in Grabber Orange. Lining up the supplies and the paints now - I'm basically a Testors enamel guy, and those are the paints that I'm shooting for. Never did airbrushing, and I'm not starting now (although I might some time down the line depending on how this goes, but can't afford it right now). Okay so finally on to the questions...

Can't seem to find Grabber Orange in an enamel spray, but there is a lacquer version of it. Can I use both enamel and lacquer on the same model? I know mixing the paints is obviously a no no, but is it okay on different areas? And I assume I would be using different primers for each, but what about clear coats?

I'm also looking for a Testors enamel that's as close to midnight blue as possible. I'm checking the colors online to see what's best, but of course it's hard to tell just with small color samples online. Any recommendations? I'd prefer an enamel of course (in a spray can), but if it's okay to use different types as above, is there a lacquer or something else that's closer?

Clear coat... never used it before, but obviously thinking about it this time around. Is the general concensus that it's better to use it? Was trying to get some info and watch some videos about it, but I'm still a little unclear about it (pun intended). On a car, specifically - is it something that's applied only to the body of the car, or is it used elsewhere as well?

Sorry if any of the questions sound real noobish but like I said, it's been quite a while since I was into this hobby, and I want to improve on it this time around.

Not sure about the midnight blue.
Don't worry about asking questions, that's part of why we're all here.

You can use laquers and enamels together, just make sure that the laquer has fully cured before putting enamel over the top. A sealer coat can help that.

Yes, a sealer coat is a good idea. If only because it can protect your paint/decals/detailing

I have had great succes with Testors Clear Lacquers, dull and gloss, in the spray can. I have sprayed it on top of enamels, lacquers, and acrylics with no problems. Take your time and build up the coats slowly and always make sure the paint you use is fully cured. I always give it a quick wiff to see if i can still smell the paint. If you cant smell the paint anymore you're golden. enamels take forever to fully cure. i have waited up to a month for some enamels to fully cure. thats why i primarily use acrylics and lacquers as they cure in a day or two depending on your climate. Testors Model Master Acrylics brush paint really nice as well as the Vallejo line of model paints.

hope this helps

peace out

Is the cure time on enamels really that outrageous? I'm going to be working with enamels primarily, although the bodies of the cars I'm doing will be done in lacquers - which is obviously going to be the most visible part of the model and the thing I am going to be concentrating on the most to get as absolutely close to perfect as I can. And as much as I would love to use a Tamiya primer, right now those things are obviously next to impossible to find readily available. So would I be okay with a Testor's enamel primer for now? What is the average cure time on the enamel paints? And how long after priming (with an enamel primer) should I wait to start painting?

i use Rustoleum Auto mobile primer i get it at wal mart. it works great with any type of paint you throw on it. It is thicker than your model brand primers and can leave behind a slight texture but nothing a little wet sanding with some fine grit wont cure and I always give it at least 24 hours to dry. Its dry to the touch in about 20 minutes and ok to go ahead and start wet sanding if you want. Its cheap and readily available. Yes, the cure time on enamels can be pretty ridiculous. Generally i have found they take a week or two to fully cure. I used to use the testors enamel rattle cans and yes, I once waited about a month for that stuff to dry. but like i said before, if you can still smell the paint on the model, its more than likely still curing.

keep us posted

over and out

Latest posts

Back