New 'Build the Millennium Falcon' Magazine

Too good to be true lol all though like I said on KOTF it would be cheaper to buy the Master Replica one!

So does each issue come with different parts of the model or do you get an entire kit? Whats the deal?

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Basically a $1,500 model (which no third party has been able to review or evaluate) delivered to you a few parts at a time (no less than 100 shipments).... over the course of two years.

Thank you, no.

I didn't really investigate...just thought this was a how-to publication to scratch build one.

There have been many "large" kits done this way. The last one I remember was a 1/8 Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger. It's not something for everyone because of the expense and the long wait until the last parts arrive. They've been successful in the past.

robiwon said:
They've been successful in the past.

How do we define successful? If we mean a limited number of fans with money to burn paid in, and then later auctioned them off to even bigger fans with even more money to burn, then I guess, yea, someone succeeded, but I see these more as slight of hand marketing than anything else. I mean, if you have a $1500 Falcon model that's the bomb, then just sell it. Why hide the cost in a subscription, and dool the parts out 5 at a time (in the long run costing the buyer way more in shipping)? The photos of the 1:250 Akagi "subscription" I''ve seen dont look like they hold a candle to the 1:350 Hassegawa kit....which as crazy as its price is, comes in at a relative fraction of the cost.

Off the soap box now. Sorry for the rant. :-[

I wonder how accurate it will be? I'm guessing not very or simplified. I'm surprised it's even happening, but if it is accurate it would still be the cheapest way to buy a studio scale 32" falcon lol......unless you know the right people.

Its hard to tell at the minute, they aren't showing too much,.....the shot of the quad guns look very like the MR model,....but perhaps theyre using images of the MR....dunno

The Master Replica image:
2.jpg

The Deagostini Falcon:
1.jpg

J

I would love to really build my AMT Falcon, with all the aftermarket, someday. Been sitting there on my shelf for over 15 years.

Insane.

Here's some images of issue one

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=16115

J

Some comparison images starting to pop up between it (left) and the MR one (right)

deagostini-falcon-anyone-seen-image.jpg-303877d1396025442

deagostini-falcon-anyone-seen-image.jpg-303884d1396026391

deagostini-falcon-anyone-seen-image.jpg-303419d1395937987t

Not so sure about this Falcon now, the details are very soft

J

Save your money John, it's more fun try to cobble together one of your own or find some guys that are doing that....... ;)

Yeah John, I got pretty excited when news of this came out, being the same size as the studio model, but now....huh!
......and i could have used another falcon model too!

J

Apparently collectors of this got a letter with issue 3 & 4 that the model/magazine is suspended until further notice, they say this is natural as they adjust manufacturing to suit the demand

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10739&p=2

Some images:
IMGP1153.jpg

This is what the framework will look like:
IMGP1149.jpg

There are still no images of the completed model, all completed images they show is of the MR Falcon

J

Just an update... they have began releasing the mag again, and anyone that had subscribed to it before Dec '14, was sent new issues 1-5 free. Why? They re-tooled the pieces and made them much more accurate. There are quite a few improvements. Here's a really good site that shows and describes each piece in detail and gives you a really good idea on what to expect in the future:

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipdeagofalcon.html

I just got my parts pack in for this and will be starting a build log of it here. Also going to include a bunch of info for those that are interested.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,12084.0.html

Latest posts

Back