NEED HELP!!! How to make a stand for a model airplane.

Atomicdog

STAY IN THE RACE!
I bought an old 1987 Revell B-58A Hustler kit. The kit is missing some pieces(nose landing gear). Revell could not replace it because the kit is discontinued. Therefore, I need to know how to make a model stand for this jet. Any help or leads will be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Take it easy and Keep Building!!!

What if you searched out replacement landing gear legs, dont Scale Aircraft Conversions make a white metal landing gear set for the B-58?

The first thing I would do is figure out where the model balances, or in other words, its center of gravity. This is the position where you want to attach the model to the stand. (Or somewhere close to this point.)

Next go out and find a good looking piece of wood. You can get wooden plaques at any big box hobby shop. Or you can do what I do, and go to a home improvement store, and buy a piece of Oak, or cedar. Next locate a brass rod. Any Radio Controlled hobby shop will have an assortment of brass rods. Pick up something suitable, drill a hole in the model, attach the brass rod. CA glue works great for this. Drill a hole in the wooden board and you have a base.

To liven it up a bit, you can print out a decal, affix it to a piece of scrap styrene, and glue it to the board. Or even just apply it to the board if you go with a light colored wood.

I have done this for a couple of models now. If you find the right couple of tubes, you could even make it so you can take the model off of the stand.

Thank you for the great tips! I will give them a try! I knew I can count on you guys! Take it easy and Keep Building!!! :) :) :)

I found a review on that Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear set for the 1/48 B-58,

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/sac/detail_sac_48035.shtml

Scott from Elm City Hobbies should be able to order it in for you. Price is actually pretty good considering how extensive this set is. I've used one of their sets before, they are of good quality and are basically a direct replacement for the kit parts, just a little cleanup requiered. You can probably paint them directly but it would be best to use a primer coat.

sac_48035_parts.jpg

I'd though I'd show what I did with my GW stand and my ME262. The kit came with a little plaque I put on the base.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back