Need a new airbrush…

f2k

How ironic…

Yesterday I joked about how, having just completely disassembled it in order to give it a good cleaning, I loved my Sparmax airbrush to bits. Little did I know just how prophetic this was…

Well… As I screwed the nozzle back in place this morning it suddenly broke apart, leaving the threat securely locked within the airbrush itself and the nozzle snugly held within the special tool needed to screw it in.

CURSES!

Mutter…

Grumble…

Many other bad words…

I tried to glue it back on (will find out how that went once I get home from work) but I’m probably looking at a new airbrush.

Sigh…

So, what to buy?

I want a gravity feed airbrush with a backstop (or whatever it’s called) so I can regulate the maximum amount of paint coming through. Having several nozzles, ranging from 2mm. to 4 or 5 mm. would be a nice bonus but otherwise the 3 mm. nozzle on my old Sparmax seemed to be a good all-round solution.

I’ve got an art store nearby who sells airbrushes from Harder & Steenbeck and Paasche but they’re kinda expensive and I’m not familiar with those brands.
Of course, it would be nice to have a store nearby when needed spare parts and such but compared with the prices I’m seeing on the net it’s a bit hard to justify.

What would you guys suggest? Keep in mind that I’m not super rich (damn student loan) and that I’m living in Denmark so having a European outlet would be vastly preferred…

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately my local store doesn’t have that particular model. They do, however, have what looks to be the bottom-feed version of it – the VLSTPRO set.

Now, to be honest my feelings in regards to bottom feeding probably comes from having some really bad experiences with the cheap plastic airbrushes that I bought back when I didn’t know much about airbrushing. They were all bottom-feeders and none of them worked at all!

Perhaps one of the issues is that I will often mix very small batches of paint straight into the cup of my airbrush – adding a few drops of paint here and a handful of drops there...
I don’t know if that’s going to be possible with a bottom-feeder.

However, since the store is trying to reduce their stocks of those airbrushes the set is marked down by 45% - a very tempting deal...

Oh, and by the way... The nozzle on my Sparmax had actually glued straight back into place. Unfortunately, it feels as if a bit of glue has gotten into the airbrush itself and I can’t quite get the needle back in place. Nor do I dare push very hard...

Well, I can strongly recommend the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution airbrushes.
I have one and they are a dream to use and to maintain.
The cleanup is a snap and you don't need any tools to disassemble.

A while back I posted a video on YouTube as a response to Grendels on this topic:

Response to Badgrendels.avi

I hope this helps.

Interesting video. It looks like a very easy-to-use airbrush. But it doesn’t have a backstop, right?

Sounded like you weren’t too happy about bottom-feeders either. Any input on that?

I’ve been reading up on it and several webpages mentioned that bottom-feeders generally had to operate at a higher pressure than gravity-feeders in order to pull the paint up from the reservoir. Seems to be very much in-line with my own experiences...

f2k said:
Interesting video. It looks like a very easy-to-use airbrush. But it doesn’t have a backstop, right?

Sounded like you weren’t too happy about bottom-feeders either. Any input on that?

I’ve been reading up on it and several webpages mentioned that bottom-feeders generally had to operate at a higher pressure than gravity-feeders in order to pull the paint up from the reservoir. Seems to be very much in-line with my own experiences...

If by a "back stop" you mean a screw to control the flow of paint ( or how far back the needle will go) then yes it does have one. You can get all sorts of accessories for this instrument.
I have a bottle adapter where you remove the cup and attach this tube that screws onto a small bottle and spray a larger volume than the cup will hold. I find it convenient when I'm spraying Mr Surfacer 1200 as my primer.

As for bottom feed. That's a matter of individual choice. Some folks love it. Personally, I just don't care for it.

f2k said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately my local store doesn’t have that particular model. They do, however, have what looks to be the bottom-feed version of it – the VLSTPRO set.

Now, to be honest my feelings in regards to bottom feeding probably comes from having some really bad experiences with the cheap plastic airbrushes that I bought back when I didn’t know much about airbrushing. They were all bottom-feeders and none of them worked at all!

Perhaps one of the issues is that I will often mix very small batches of paint straight into the cup of my airbrush – adding a few drops of paint here and a handful of drops there...
I don’t know if that’s going to be possible with a bottom-feeder.

However, since the store is trying to reduce their stocks of those airbrushes the set is marked down by 45% - a very tempting deal...

Oh, and by the way... The nozzle on my Sparmax had actually glued straight back into place. Unfortunately, it feels as if a bit of glue has gotten into the airbrush itself and I can’t quite get the needle back in place. Nor do I dare push very hard...
The VLS is a decent airbrush, but the Talon is MUCH better. Garvity feed or siphon, it all works once you play with them for a bit. In most cases it's just a plugged vent hole or not enough air pressuree to make the vacuum. The fix is usually just thinner paint. As with most things, it's all personal preference. Sort of like the false belief that a double action is better than a single action, it's not, it's just a choice like standard or automatic.
http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/pavlprai.html

I hate salesmen...

No seriously...

I really do...

I went down to the shop yesterday after work in order to talk to them and see what kind of airbrushes they had.

Ended up buying a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, costing just about five times as much as I should have spend on it...

Grrrr...

However, I must admit that the guy had a point. If I'm serious about airbrushing (and I am) then I might as well buy a good airbrush now instead of returning a year from now wanting a better airbrush than the one I have. At least, that's the argument I'm using to justify it... :D

Sadly, I won't have time to try it out until tomorrow. I'm needed at the local model train club tonight so I won't have much time to get anything else done. Hopefully I can get some decals on my Corsair but...

Anyway, once again thanks for the input. It seems that there's no general consensus on this so I'll just have to hope that I didn't make a mistake here.

It is a nice looking airbrush though...

Nice to hear you are Set for life with that Nice Tool you just bought!

Take good care of it! And it will take care of you!

Norm.

f2k said:
I hate salesmen...

No seriously...

I really do...

I went down to the shop yesterday after work in order to talk to them and see what kind of airbrushes they had.

Ended up buying a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, costing just about five times as much as I should have spend on it...

Grrrr...

However, I must admit that the guy had a point. If I'm serious about airbrushing (and I am) then I might as well buy a good airbrush now instead of returning a year from now wanting a better airbrush than the one I have. At least, that's the argument I'm using to justify it... :D

Sadly, I won't have time to try it out until tomorrow. I'm needed at the local model train club tonight so I won't have much time to get anything else done. Hopefully I can get some decals on my Corsair but...

Anyway, once again thanks for the input. It seems that there's no general consensus on this so I'll just have to hope that I didn't make a mistake here.

If you don't mind me asking....what did they charge you for it? I assume it was the Infinity 2n1?

Elm City Hobbies said:
f2k said:
I hate salesmen...

No seriously...

I really do...

Grrrr...

If you don't mind me asking....what did they charge you for it? I assume it was the Infinity 2n1?

As far as I can tell it isn't the Two in One set. The box does have space for an extra cup and needle but nothing was included and the name on the box is INFINITY solo so I'm assuming that there isn't supposed to be anything extra.

It cost me...

Ummm...

Dunno if I should even admit this...

Ehhh...

1500 DKr. or $270...

Which, as I said, was just about five times more than their cheapest airbrush (a bottom-of-the-line Paache on 50% off). I could most likely have gotten it cheaper had I ordered it over the 'net but I wanted to buy it locally so I could get some support, and more importantly, have easy access to spare parts.

f2k said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
f2k said:
I hate salesmen...

No seriously...

I really do...

Grrrr...

As far as I can tell it isn't the Two in One set. The box does have space for an extra cup and needle but nothing was included and the name on the box is INFINITY solo so I'm assuming that there isn't supposed to be anything extra.

It cost me...

Ummm...

Ehhh...

1500 DKr. or $270...

Which, as I said, was just about five times more than their cheapest airbrush (a bottom-of-the-line Paache on 50% off). I could most likely have gotten it cheaper had I ordered it over the 'net but I wanted to buy it locally so I could get some support, and more importantly, have easy access to spare parts.

Holy....and I thought my prices were a little high.

Yeah, if there was only the AB in the box, you got the Solo....the 2n1 would have come with the .4mm needle/head and the 5ml paint cup. Those however you can always buy later down the road if you need them.

Damn...$270 for the solo? I sell the 2n1 for only about $30 more, the Solo about $240CDN....figured they would be cheaper than that in Europe since they are made there in Germany, less shipping costs from the manufacturer.

Either way, you got yourself an awesome airbrush....

Elm City Hobbies said:
f2k said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
f2k said:
I hate salesmen...

No seriously...

I really do...

Grrrr...

It cost me...

Ummm...

Ehhh...

1500 DKr. or $270...

Holy....and I thought my prices were a little high.

Yeah, if there was only the AB in the box, you got the Solo....the 2n1 would have come with the .4mm needle/head and the 5ml paint cup. Those however you can always buy later down the road if you need them.

darn...$270 for the solo? I sell the 2n1 for only about $30 more, the Solo about $240CDN....figured they would be cheaper than that in Europe since they are made there in Germany, less shipping costs from the manufacturer.

Either way, you got yourself an awesome airbrush....

Yeah...

Well...

Welcome to the wonderful world of 20+% VAT, sky-high salaries and even higher income tax. Everything is so damn expensive here that it's nearly always cheaper to import whatever you need. However, in this case I paid a little extra so I could get local support if I needed it.

Remember how I talked about gluing the nozzle back on?

Yeah...

Well...

That didn't work...

Just put the airbrush together and tried running a bit of water through it at low pressure. Strangely, even though the needle fits snugly into the glued-on nozzle and there's plenty of air comming through, the water's going nowhere...

So I'm afraid that airbrush is a total loss...

f2k said:
Remember how I talked about gluing the nozzle back on?

Yeah...

Well...

That didn't work...

Just put the airbrush together and tried running a bit of water through it at low pressure. Strangely, even though the needle fits snugly into the glued-on nozzle and there's plenty of air comming through, the water's going nowhere...

So I'm afraid that airbrush is a total loss...
Dump it!
You know, if you had it going again it would fail when you need it the most or blow up when you're almost finished with a job ruining it completely.
Murphy's Law.

Well... I finally got a chance to put my new airbrush to the test...

My, oh my...

This is one nice airbrush for sure. Much, much better than my old one. But then again, it's also three times as expensive so it should be better, right...?

Actually, I think it might actually be too good for the work I did today (got the first couple of undercoats on my SU-85's). The spray is so fine that it takes forever to cover even a small 1/100 scale tank. Don't want to think about how long it would take to cover a 1/35 scale tank.

But oh my... It's just such a nice airbrush to work with...

My old airbrush, I think, will be donated to the modeltrain club. They have the same setup as I used to have so they can use it for spare parts.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Get yourself the .4mm, or even the .3mm needle/nozzle set, give you a little wider spray pattern.

Good idea. I might just do that.

Latest posts

Back