My Next build Tamiya 1/48 A10 thunderbolt

Docbritofmf

So I finally settled on my next build well more like found something I wouldn't mind building for a reasonable price sorta.

I picked up a Tamiya A10 kit from my local hobby shop I figured Tamiya makes good armor hopefully they make good aircraft too.

The A10 is known to me as the Warthog but I guess the air force calls them thunderbolts.
It is as I was told in my time with the Marines the only aircraft purpose-built for a gun another words the gun came first and they said hey we got this bad a$$ gun it would be cool if it could fly .. so the A10 was born.

This aircraft has a special place in my heart because it has saved my butt quite a few times overseas.. the main gun makes the most unforgettable noise I have ever heard and will surely never forget. Nothing sends the enemy running like 2,000-4,000 round per minute of 30mm depleted uranium rounds . The aircraft is built tough and has been know to fly back from missions with upto or at least proven to 30% of it's wing surface missing from battle damage. To this day the military has been looking for a replacement to this aircraft but have been unable to find a adequate substitute for it's capabilities.

I started work on the assembly how ever I'm finding that this kit maybe paced alot different as there is a lot of parts that need specific paint colors that would be applied much easier apart then after put together at least much cleaner application for that matterPXL_20221021_202403768.MP.jpg

Have fun .
I think that might be one of the worst kits Tamiya ever made .
BTW , the plane being designed around the gun is one of those unkillable myths but it's still a myth .

So I have questions lol, I know this is kinda an extra step but what if I did the base coat of this plane flat aluminum since that's what aircrafts are made out of and then do the primary paint grey

and then ?
Chipped the paint so it would look like what an aircraft looks like when the paint chips away , prehapes I can do some shading too like taking black and tracing the panel lines before I do the gray so it kinda highlights them. This is all theoretical I've never done any of this before I'd have to watch some youtube

I assumed that was where you were heading .
I don't remember seeing much of any exposed aluminum airframe on any of them . Do you have photos of it ?

Only where they took hits :

MwivuOV.jpg

I assumed that was where you were heading .
I don't remember seeing much of any exposed aluminum airframe on any of them . Do you have photos of it ?

Only where they took hits :

View attachment 94580
Ya something to that effect, most aircraft have this like old school surgical green colored primer that's for anti corrosion but under that is aluminum

Testers sells a color called zinc chromate I always wondered if it was just a color they named that or if it was actually zinc chromate used from people that make alluminum RC models so they don't rust.

But yes this is what I was referring to on some of the smaller aircraft I've flown and even some military aircraft were the paint is extremely worn you can see each layer down to bare aluminum.

Idk I saw in beebles posting he said the green made it look toyish so I was hoping I can change it up with a better more realistic paint job

So I finally settled on my next build well more like found something I wouldn't mind building for a reasonable price sorta.

I picked up a Tamiya A10 kit from my local hobby shop I figured Tamiya makes good armor hopefully they make good aircraft too.

The A10 is known to me as the Warthog but I guess the air force calls them thunderbolts.
It is as I was told in my time with the Marines the only aircraft purpose-built for a gun another words the gun came first and they said hey we got this bad a$$ gun it would be cool if it could fly .. so the A10 was born.

This aircraft has a special place in my heart because it has saved my butt quite a few times overseas.. the main gun makes the most unforgettable noise I have ever heard and will surely never forget. Nothing sends the enemy running like 2,000-4,000 round per minute of 30mm depleted uranium rounds . The aircraft is built tough and has been know to fly back from missions with upto or at least proven to 30% of it's wing surface missing from battle damage. To this day the military has been looking for a replacement to this aircraft but have been unable to find a adequate substitute for it's capabilities.

I started work on the assembly how ever I'm finding that this kit maybe paced alot different as there is a lot of parts that need specific paint colors that would be applied much easier apart then after put together at least much cleaner application for that matterView attachment 94576
Best sound ever! Watch the ground boil then the unmistakable BRRRRT sound.
Great aircraft! Nothing will come close to replacing this, nearly indestructible, workhorse.

Of course I thought that about the A-6 Intruder yet here we are...

Latest posts

Back