My experiments with chrome paint and clear coat

Here is a brush on paint that has a pretty amazing effect. You can see reflections in it

Just make sure to use old brushes as it kind of beats them up. Thin/clan with alcohol

It can also be airbrushed, but I think the hand brushed effect actually looks better

You put it on kind of thick, and it will self level and thin when dried

https://ww
Here is a brush on paint that has a pretty amazing effect. You can see reflections in it

Just make sure to use old brushes as it kind of beats them up. Thin/clan with alcohol

It can also be airbrushed, but I think the hand brushed effect actually looks better

You put it on kind of thick, and it will self level and thin when dried

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/1429-chrome-paint.html

Hi, I hope my question gets to you. I received a defective wine glass where it was missing chrome. Since this was a custom order and I was on a time crunch, I couldn't start over and I didn't catch it until I was going to seal my design. I have repainted this at least 25 times. I have used this paint several times and I am just trying again with black gloss primer on glass. Part, brushes on shiny, others dull silver. Will it get brighter as it dries? On prior times, the paint wouldn't dry even after I baked it in oven. Couldn't capture exact look for pics.II17020147339535216854176105014376.jpg17020148548277881304660127509113.jpgAny suggestions?

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I have some chrome paint questions.

I usually use SMS Hyperchrome and have very good results. It works very well and there is no need to clearcoat it. It can be handled a little bit without messing up the finish.

This one time I used Hyperchrome, it didn't not shine up bright enough though, so I applied Molotow using an airbrush. The Molotow turned out great. Nice and bright. The problem is I know you cant touch it at all. It very delecate. So I want to clearcoat it.

I am totally fine with the clearcoating dulling the finish a bit. But I don't know what clearcoat to use. I tried a 2k clear on a chromed spoon. It damaged the finish. I have Mr Super Clear from Mr Hobby that I can use. It is a lacquer. I also have some acrylic clear from Tamiya. And finally I do have some Alclad. I think that is acrylic as well.

I can do some tesh shots, but I know Molotow takes a long time to cure. I don't have time to wait for that and test. I am trying to get this model done ASAP.

Any info is appriceated.

Yes, Molotow chrome is delicate. I use it mostly for auto trimwork and struts. On rare occasion, I will strip chrome off auto rims and do a do over. With rechromed rims, I leave it alone for at least a week or longer before handling.

Any clearcoat regardless of brand WILL diminish the shine of Molotow chrome or any chrome brand paint (Alclad, etc…) for that matter.

There’s no need to clearcoat chrome.

Yes, Molotow chrome is delicate. I use it mostly for auto trimwork and struts. On rare occasion, I will strip chrome off auto rims and do a do over. With rechromed rims, I leave it alone for at least a week or longer before handling.

Any clearcoat regardless of brand WILL diminish the shine of Molotow chrome or any chrome brand paint (Alclad, etc…) for that matter.

There’s no need to clearcoat chrome.
I used Molotow on a set of wheels. The finish is too bright so if the clearcoat reduces the shine that is fine. Since the Molotow is completey covering the wheels, and the wheels must be handled in order to mount them on the model, I would like to clearcoat them to protect the finish.

So wich clearcoat would be best? I applied 2k clear to a test part and it did not react well with the chrom paint. I have some lacquer and acrylic options. Which type of clear is more likely to work.

UGH, I'll probably try to do some testing. Molotow really doesn't have time to fully cure though. I am trying to complete these wheels in 3 days.

Last edited:
Alclad is a lacquer that is for airbrushing only. Not recommended for hand brushing. You need a gloss black base when using Alclad metal colors. DO NOT use their gloss black. I’ve heard lots of horror stories using their gloss black.

Again, no matter what brand clear coat you use, it will dull the chrome paint no matter what!

Latest posts

Back