My Entry: Hasegawa F-4J Phantom USMC

Also, on a side note, the phantom in the photo has a white radome, but my decal sheet specifically called for mine to be this colour tan. So, that's what I did. I think it's a little too tan but I don't mind.

Okay! Problem sorted and decals on:

img1525et.jpg

Note that the tip of the tail looks bad because it has yet to be painted (it's getting alclad along with the exhaust nozzles etc.) and that's happening last.

It's coming along.

Here's the good ol' wash:

img1528u.jpg

After flat cote (bit of a tight angle, my bad):

img1551nq.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm going to have to take a break from this for the holidays, and I'll be back at it to finish up in January!

I love the pre-shading on this! Makes it pop out and more interesting. Decals are looking smooth too Hodges.

HH mate!

Sorry guys! I've been a long time away from this baby. I'd be working away except that the next part that needs to be done is the alclad, and that stuff is toxic. My paint setup is only really okay for acrylic work, since the ventilation isn't the best. It's also very cold outside these days...I have to sort out something for how I'm going to proceed.

Also, alclad is rather expensive. I have two shades in my collection currently (a light aluminum and a dark steel), which I might try to mix together in different proportions to achieve the paneled look on the tail section...but I'm not sure how well that will work. The other option I'm considering is pre-painting the panels in different shades of acryl from black to white and some in between, and then just give it a single go-over with a mix of alclad I'm satisfied with. That will minimize the time I have to spend shooting the toxic stuff.

As always, input is very welcome!

Well, at least I got it masked up. It's a tricky shape but some tamiya tape and a new blade did the job nice and clean. Also, it's easier to do a good job masking when you're not itching to get painting :p

img1587yv.jpg

Well, I was almost there, until I pulled off the masking tape!

img1605rf.jpg

I can't believe this happened. I had given it 3 coats of a very durable lacquer matte finish, and it felt indestructible. I don't really know what to do. I think I'm going to have to order another set of my decals to replace the ones that got ruined. I seriously doubt my ability to fix that tail any other way. Well, at least I got my alclad painting done! ::)

DOH!

Oh man that sucks. You'll get 'er back in showcase order. No worries man

Latest posts

Back