My Entry: Hasegawa F-4J Phantom USMC

aww shucks you guys ::) ;D

This kit is really well engineered...it took maybe an hour to almost completely finish the body/wings and it needs just a few touch-ups with mr. surfacer

img1425z.jpg

:)

Looks like you've made some great progress Hodges. Nice.

Ummmm... where are the splitter plates on the intakes? ???
Hodges said:
aww shucks you guys ::) ;D

This kit is really well engineered...it took maybe an hour to almost completely finish the body/wings and it needs just a few touch-ups with mr. surfacer

img1425z.jpg

Hodges said:
ShutterAce said:
Ummmm... where are the splitter plates on the intakes? ???

They're coming! You really thought I'd forgotten? Give me some credit here ;D

Sorry. I've been known to start test fitting and then before you know it the glue comes out and then... ;)

I haven't had too much time to work on this build, but I'm back at it and just about ready for paint. I just have to deal with the canopy, which was a bit scratched up. I'm going to give it a future bath and then once it's on I can move on and start getting some paint down.

img1404sl.jpg

There is something wrong with that picture !!!

Your Cutting Mat is too clean !!! LOL

Awesome work on the Seats.... and the Bird looks really nice !

Keep up the good work !

Looking really neat Hodges ,I like the seats too they turned out great ;)

Chris.

Alright! I got nearly all the paint work done (finally).

img1445lc.jpg

img1457by.jpg

img1483go.jpg

The lighting on this one is terrible! And note that I put the other (one-piece) canopy in place just to mask the 'pit so I could get the painting done.

img1487w.jpg

All that's left is the radome (off-white) and the bare-metal parts around the exhaust.

Looking good! You are going for an open canopy then when finished? I also used the closed canopy as a mask but then stripped it clean. I'm still not sure what I want to do with mine. ???

That's right Ace! Actually I think I saw you do that and that's where the idea came from :) I had tacked on the other one all nice and masked up properly but some glue leaked out along the seam in some places, and I was having a hard time aligning them in the closed position. The lower outer frame of each piece has to be masked off and painted black as well, so I just popped them off and I'm going to clean them up and deal with them separately.

Tremendous !! You used the preshade really well ,looks fantastic :) looking forward to seeing it decaled up ;D

Chris.

Hodges - that is one beautiful pre-shade job. Looks great. Can't wait for the rest of the colours and decals. Which aircraft/scheme are you modelling?

Thanks everyone!

JMac I'm building this scheme:

F-4J%20Phantom%20%5B155781%5D.jpg

A VMFA-451 Warlord, ciirca 1978 (stationed Beaufort SC), with BuNo 153821.

I just about finished paint (alclads will go on very last):

img1498o.jpg

I proceeded to apply a clear coat in prep for decals, and I wasn't too happy with the results. The thinner I used with the clear gloss seems to have melted the base coat a tad, just enough to let the pre-shade through too much for my taste (I had been pushing it before).

img1506e.jpg

img1513mc.jpg

Or I might be imagining it. Either way, it's simple enough to fix. What do you guys think? Should I go back over with a thin coat of the grey to tone down the shading?

Latest posts

Back