My "All Open" entry for the "Big Spring Contest 2011", the Star Trek Enterprise

mercs32118

Simon "Papa Smurf" Mercs in the Studio
Well, Scott finally filled me in on the great stuff I won for the contest, a Badger Sotar Airbrush, COOL! And, my choice of a weathering set for it. Looked up specs on the airbrush, sweet Jesus palomino!

What an excellent prize!! Thanks SMA! ;D

I wanted to just show a bit more data and images on my entry this year. Made from the PL 32 inch Star Trek Enterprise Refit, or "A", if you prefer, Star Ship kit. This is still a very popular kit, and in my book, quite nice. At a big 1/350th scale, and designed with lighting in mind, some really nice results can be obtained by novices, all the way to pro's.

Depending how far you want to take it, and that's usually determined by interior cavity space, technology available, your budget, and so on...........

My entry was a build done for a client a few years ago. Would very much like to partake in the "timed event", but as I work on commission builds, for long term projects, I doubt it could be done. It's still nice that you can enter in the "All Open" however.

The build featured a lot of add-ons, PNT's after market kit, nice brass goodies there. Specialty decals, and transfers, about 300 LEDS, various colors, wavelenghts, and emission angles. Fiber Optic stuff for the very teeny illuminations, like the Docking Ports. Several modules for functions like the Navigation and Strobe lighting. Don's (DLM) after-market Shuttle Bay kit, very nice by the way. Lou Dalmaso's "Aztec Dummy" masking, really makes it much easier. Lou's my bud.

Now, at the moment, on my website page named "Featured Build", there is a very brief synopsis of the build. The file folder of the documented build is 3 gigs big, so I try to show just the highlights.

That page is located at http://www.simonmercs.biz/featured_build so you can see a few images of this project.

The coolest feature was the 2 blue Lasers. At the time, the Blue lasers were quite new, were talking about 2 or 3 years ago. The client was extremely interested in those. Although the Red "Phasers" were used in the Refit, he wanted to have a bit of an "homage" to the original Enterprise, and chose blue.

At the time, these 2 units cost around 1200.00 each! They were quite powerful, about half a watt, and very visible, even in daylight conditions. At about 3/4 inch diameter, and 3 inches long, they were a tight fit, but eventually a good angle was reached, and a Apoxy cradle was built around them, to lock everything in. Alignment is a difficult, and somewhat dangerous process. I was supplied with the special glasses that allow this process. A direct hit to the retina, for less than a second, can be very harmful. Never take these gizmo's for granted.

The entire build took around 8 months (roughly 2000 hours), and included the very cool display case shown. The "Wrath of Khan" tactical display was fully functional. Like the film version, it surrounded the graphic laser etched Refit with the "Shield" wrap effect. Nice electronics there, and in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range with R & D. I believe this was the first to be developed, and other versions can now can be found around the net. When the display was lighted, a very cool blue lighting effect was seen underneath the primary hull. I also added several blinking red LEDS, to the inside of the graphic outline of the Ship, indicating "Damage" taken by Phaser fire. A simple, but very effective way to make the display look even more functional. There are films of this display on U Tube, my channel is called "mercs32118".

A lot of time was spent on the paint detailing, interior and exterior, the Aztec tile details really define a Star Ship. Although the paint scheme on the prop was a tad more subtle, the client wanted it more "defined", I build to order, you gotta make the client happy. It's all a matter of taste. I draw the line at "Barney the Dinosaur" images all over the outside though, nope,.....ain't gonna happen.

I spoke to a few guys, who are members here, after the wins were posted, and several stated they voted for this entry, I was very happy to hear that! Although I was very impressed with the entries, you guys can build, it was gratifying to see that my work still gets some attention.

This project was the front page article in the IPMS Journal May/Jun 2008, Volume 20, Issue 3, and they did a marvelous job on the layout.

The commemorative plaque on the other side, was also a laser etched piece, lighted with white LEDS.
What was not easily seen was a wedge on the support section, in a dark blue, that was lighted as well.

The functions were controlled form the front buttons, and included things like "Photon Torpedo" launch effect, Lasers, which were done with a momentary switch, and the many other lighting systems installed.

Here's some images

refit_2182.14672712_large.JPG

refit_2227.14673804_large.JPG

a1-pic.14760004_large.jpg

AWEBREF.35084514_large.jpg

refit_2310.6373711_large.JPG

refit_2346.6374304_large.JPG

refit_1135.6363139_large.JPG

refit_2328.14673118_large.JPG

refit_2234.6373241_large.JPG

At the time, this was the biggest Trek ship built here, but now, the current Enterprise E project, which will be completed within a few weeks, will take the title, at 42 inches long. I will post images of that build when it's completed.

But not for long. The De Boers Refit follows this project, at nearly 50 inches long, and armed with those nifty Lasers, it will be the "Biggest and Baddest" one yet!

Thanks for the voters who chose my entry, and I look forward to the next big contest next year!

One incredible build Simon!!! Congratulations...well earned my friend!!! Those lasers are the cream of the crop!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing the new builds!!!! ;)

TRM said:
One incredible build Simon!!! Congratulations...well earned my friend!!! Those lasers are the cream of the crop!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing the new builds!!!! ;)

What a great comment, very much appreciated! ;D So nice to hear such a positive post!

Thanks so much, and now that SMA is my new home, I will post some exclusive stuff on those upcoming builds. The Enterprise E, which is nearly done.....after 11 months, will also be shown here, it really should take some excellent beauty shots! I'll be sure to add some images and concepts that won't be shown anywhere else!

Again, thanks for making my day Dude!! ;)

Mercs, I've got to tell you, this is such inspirational stuff. The level of detail and the way this model is presented is a great example of what we can do with this hobby with enough dedication and 'know how'.

Congratulations on the win and thanks for posting here. :)

Yeah ....That is one fantastic build buddy :eek: ,my figure painting is nowt compared to this !!! I dont really follow Sci-Fi stuff much ,but I do enjoy looking at the work that goes into them ,and this my friend is some stunning work ;D

Keep it up .

Chris.

Hey, Thanks All! Very cool responses, makes it all worth it!

You have to love the hobby, have a passion for it, and "think out of the box".

Looking forward to trying out this airbrush! ;D

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!
When I saw it, I could nothing but vote for it. :/
By the way, are you the fellow who has been building the Giant Enterprise E on youtube?
I loved the video when you had your little revenge "episode" I laughed aloud. ;D

ModelMakerMike said:
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!
When I saw it, I could nothing but vote for it. :/
By the way, are you the fellow who has been building the Giant Enterprise E on youtube?
I loved the video when you had your little revenge "episode" I laughed aloud. ;D

Thanks Mike! Yep, I'm building the "Big E", as it's become known over this year. You saw that huh? I've made several videos on the project, and they range from informative, to, very very silly! I have a great time making films, other than modeling, videos are my new passion!

On the last 2, we've been using lasers and blowing things up! Yeeeeaaaaa! ;D

Here's the link to the video you liked, and the last 2!

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE E UPDATE #12

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE E PROGRESS UPDATE #14

THE TRUTH BEHIND STAR TREK ENTERPRISE E PROGRESS UPDATE #14

You need to watch these in order, to make sense of the story line, enjoy! ;D

Looks like I've got my evenings 'TV' schedule planned. ;)

EDIT: Woah! These vids are looong! Might have to spread it out over a couple of evenings. They look great though!

Wow!!!! That Blue Laser is very powerful!!!!!
That was totally kewl the way it blew through the tank!
Couldn't really make out what you were saying.
;D
Blowin' stuff up is always good!!!!

ModelMakerMike said:
Wow!!!! That Blue Laser is very powerful!!!!!
That was totally kewl the way it blew through the tank!
Couldn't really make out what you were saying.
;D
Blowin' stuff up is always good!!!!

Thanks Dude! The audio behind the "Laser" scene was meant to be very low. I tried to add that little "narrator" voice, you hear in the background, during those military videos on the News. While that smart bomb is heading for it's target, on the nose camera, some guy is reading off stats. We saw lots of those on the news, during the Iraq war.

I'm just playing around with audio right now, it's a new thing, in time, I'll get it right.

If you have a good set of speakers, and turn it up a tad, you can make it out. It's very lousy on a laptop, try on your desktop.

The fun of doing this as a job, is that when I buy some pricey gizmo, I can always tell the Wife it's "for work", in case she gets mad! Hehehehe..........after 20 years together, you learn stuff............he.....

The laser is actually 1.2 Watts, I checked, pretty good strength. I'd love a 5 Watt, but, honestly, I'd probably get into trouble!!! :eek:

Yep, never give up your "Inner Child", then you can still do "nutty" stuff!

Just do it safely, and it's all great fun!

Glad you enjoyed it Dude! ;D

Oh! And a helpful hint on the low audio. If your not familiar with U Tube, or the video box interface, remember that you have to raise the volume, on the function bar at the bottom of the picture frame. Most U Tube videos start in low volume by default.

Hope that helps if you have had the problem too. ;D

mercs32118, this is simply outstanding!
I've always loved to light the models myself, and as I was barely starting in the way of using electronics for model making your builds were of a brilliant inspiration for me, so it is twice pleasant to talk to You in person :)
A 100 percent deserved first place with this show stopper, voted for it being 1st to.
Good luck to You and happy building on your next models.
And thumbs up on this once again, incredible job!

Solander said:
mercs32118, this is simply outstanding!
I've always loved to light the models myself, and as I was barely starting in the way of using electronics for model making your builds were of a brilliant inspiration for me, so it is twice pleasant to talk to You in person :)
A 100 percent deserved first place with this show stopper, voted for it being 1st to.
Good luck to You and happy building on your next models.
And thumbs up on this once again, incredible job!

Well Thanks Dude! Man, since I've been here, I'm feeling "The Love" kids, thanks, I'm getting older, and it's great to hear that......before you go DEAF!! Hahaha

Very nice comment, and yes, you SMA people, ...my people............ ;D, will get some exclusive stuff from the studio, not seen on the web. My way of thanking Scott, for his friendship towards the Kit Factory.

After this never-ending project finally..comes to a close, the big Moebius Jupiter 2 kit is on the schedule, I have never built it before. So as I learn, you will learn. The good stuff, the bad, but in the end, we will both know how to do this one right!

I'll be showing you how the UFX circuit is perfect for this kit, and other materials and lighting that will make it a showstopper!

Thanks for the comment, very kind of you Dude!! :)

Anybody get their prizes yet? I can't wait for the new airbrush to arrive, something new for the Studio! ;D

Latest posts

Back