My 1/48 su-35 from Academy Su-27 + Wolfpack Conversion and other goodies

grobber

Hi All
I have always thought that this was one of the coolest looking airplanes ever the evolutionary development of the Su-27, the Su-25M also known as the Su-35.
The Sukhoi Su-35 (Russian: Сухой Су-35, NATO reporting name: Flanker-E) is a single-seat, twin-engine supermaneuverable multirole fighter. It is a derivative of the Su-27 'Flanker', and was initially known as the Su-27M. More than a dozen of these were built with some used by the Russian Knights aerobatic demonstration team. The Su-35 had been offered to many countries, including India, Brazil, China and South Korea.
In the 1980s, Sukhoi was looking to upgrade its high-performance Su-27. The resultant Su-35 embodies aerodynamic refinements to give it more manoeuvrability, greatly enhanced avionics, longer range, and a more powerful engine. The first prototype, converted from a production Su-27, made its maiden flight in June 1988. The Su-35 was further developed into the Su-37, which has thrust-vectoring capabilities, and the Su-35BM, classified as 4++ generation fighter by its manufacturer. The new model entered into serial production as the Su-35S for the Russian Air Force in 2010.
For such a cool looking airplane there are no good kits in it in 1/48 (note with my luck as I start this expect a new surprise release from Tamiya or Hasegawa) so I will need to use a whole lot of after market with an Academy Su-27 in there as well
So what am I using

• Academy 1/48 Su-27
• Wolfpack Su-35 conversion
• Eduard exterior PE
• Aires Cockpit
• Aires Exhaust cans
• Quickboost aerials
• Begemot decal
a2_zps6f929854.jpg

Rob

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! I'm looking forward to how you fiddle with this Wolfpack conversion...I've been considering picking one up, too, but for either the 33 or 37...

Greetings all here is the first installment of my epic build. Most of us when we build the plane start with the cockpit, given the nature of this conversion I will be starting by breaking up the saws and hacking up the fuselage. What happens after cutting this beautiful of kit up, well I might be happy or it may be heading to the trash can.

So here we have the fuselage ensure that some engineer spent a lot of effort to get this mould to come out this way.

b4_zpsac5d73fc.jpg

Well I finally built up nerve, broke up my saws and tentatively started cutting. It was not too bad but the Wolfpack instructions leave a lot to be desired. When all was said and done I ended up with this, most of the front was removed, leading edges removed wheel well removed.

b3_zps129a4d4e.jpg

So how did it turn out? Overall I’m really happy with the fit, there will certainly be some filling in my future but it is coming together much better than expected

b2_zpscb5095e8.jpg

b1_zpsd9a410c8.jpg

Let me know what you think
Rob

not too shabby sir! at least you dont have to add weight in the nose cone with all that resin!!

Greetings all I hope that you had a wonderful Easter. It was pretty busy but I found a little time to work on my Flanker. For those who have built this kit there is one big mistake if you look at the main gear wheel wells they are not properly cut out, so basically half the wheel well as covered up by the bottom fuselage half. It is a pretty easy fix but the Wolfpack conversion gives a couple pieces of resin that you are supposed to insert. But took a look and figured it would be easier just to trim the plastic as opposed to trying to fit in the resin pieces

c5_zps34fb8ddd.jpg

If you’ve never seen the kit is essentially two real big halves top and bottom, So in preparation of joining the halves. Because of this construction you need to get the cockpit tub wheel wells painted before joining the hlaves. For the wheel Wells I checked a number or references and there appears to be a number of colours used by the Flanker family, I opted to Tamiya XF-22 and used Citadel colours to pick out the details

c8_zpsc8da7734.jpg

c9_zpscdb09b6c.jpg

The cockpit was given a base coat of AKAH. Grey Darkblue. AKAH paints come from Russia and are an excellent match for Russian planes. I wish they were easier to get because they are great to brush or spray. Details on the cockpit were picked up the Tester, citadel, and Tamiya

c3_zps14afad30.jpg

c2_zps0f381191.jpg

c1_zps11b2291a.jpg

c10_zps0050c543.jpg

Because of the amount of sanding that I have in front of me I am going to add the cockpit details later so they would not get too dusty. For the details A plan on cherry picking between the Aires and Wolfpack sets, looking at the seats are I think I will be using the Aires one (Left)

c4_zps9161bdda.jpg

Once this was done I could concentrate on joining up the fuselage and the conversion parts. In general the fit is pretty good but because of lifting body we will need to smooth out all the joins, at the same time will want to keep all the rivet detail, so characteristic of Russian planes

c12_zps33d8580d.jpg

c11_zps5801bb5a.jpg

c13_zpsbe42ab6f.jpg

I used the three or four types a putty and sanding sticks and a pretty happy with how it went together

c16_zps15678cfe.jpg

c15_zps46efad2f.jpg

The other piece that need to be replaced with a stinger of the Flanker

c18_zps3f16393a.jpg

c7_zpsb1466d71.jpg

And after making a lot of dust here is where we stand

c20_zps8404b666.jpg

c19_zps373df323.jpg

c17_zpsd6ec00f0.jpg

Let know what you think and I will be updating again soon

Rob

sure is shaping up nicely! will you have to go back and rescribe some panels?

There sure will be. I tried to to protect the fiddly areas with masking tape but there is some work to be done.

Luckily the part kit is pretty low for such a big plane

Rob

This has to be the sexiest jet fighter ever built. Looking forward to your progress, off to a great start BTW.

Hi all

So quick update after doing a tonne of body work on the plane I decided to dig myself out of the dust and work on some of the details. So one of the differences between Su 25 and the 35 is that the 35 has dual nose wheel, the Wolfpack conversion provides a metal nose gear with resin detail and a PE mud Flap

The mud flap is pretty complex and made up of no less than 7 pieces.

d1_zps5487b39f.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to do the bends and ended up making a jig of some spare parts

d3_zpsada6cf81.jpg

d2_zps1e44a839.jpg

He worked out pretty well and I think I got the shape pretty much nailed
d6_zps09a94b6a.jpg

The nose landing gear was also put together a clean up the middle and added the 11 or so resin pieces to it.

d5_zps673649ee.jpg

d4_zpscb318163.jpg

Rob

Hello another update on my Flanker. I wanted to take a break from body work so focused on some miscellaneous bits

First off Wheel doors, there are lots injector pin marks

e1_zps56af889a.jpg

Using my punch I made some disks to fill these in

e7_zps047b9b14.jpg

Secondly the intakes, the flanker has a built in FOD screen so that hides a lot of the details but there is still a bunch to do.
Starting with the injection pins these were sanded and the intake walls thinned to be more scale appropriate

e_zpsdb57a171.jpg

The kit has some PE FOD screens and the eduard PE replaces the louvers

e5_zps44630368.jpg

And after a bit of origami

e6_zps425d8f98.jpg

The Fan blades

e2_zps99d4a65c.jpg

Join it all together

e3_zps046654d4.jpg

And back to the body work to blend it back to the plane

e8_zps464eec16.jpg

Final I added the nose

e9_zps6b88dfa2.jpg

Back to sanding

Rob

Hi again back with an update.

So one thing I am quickly finding out is that the Flanker lineage is very complicated, it turns out that I am actually doing as Su-37 (terminator) I guess that the main difference between that and the Su-35 is the addition of thrust vectoring nozzles. The way that I planned on representing these are they have a droop (like flaps) when the plane is at rest. For this I will be using the Aires Exhaust (right)

f1_zps5e745c5e.jpg

This is actually a pretty happy modification, on closer examination the Aires Exhaust has much smaller diameter then the kit part

f2_zps8af2f19f.jpg

And does not fit the kit the best

f3_zps41811f28.jpg

With a bit of careful cutting and sanding I was able to mate the parts up. Based on my references the turkey feathers appear in 3 section so it works out OK

f4_zps14bb297e.jpg

These were then patented up to give good burned look

f8_zps202e1b01.jpg

As I am getting closer to finishing I started to plan my painting, The tail has significant metal work to it so I think it will be easier to paint the metal then paint the camouflage. For this I am going to use Gunze metalizers. I started with a Stainless Steel tone. I then check my references and the metal seems to be much darker than that, there is also a very distinctive fork pattern burned in just before the turkey feathers. Using my base stainless steel tone and some putty I tried to replicate it.

f5_zps93ca276a.jpg

In top of this I shot a coat of iron

f6_zpsb51cd907.jpg

At first it does not look great then I got to buffing using q tips, paper towel, old brushes, and scouring pads and you get some great effect (Need to play with the camera to pick them up better)

f7_zpse4940686.jpg

f10_zpsedbdf36d.jpg

Beyond that I have being gluing bits on to get ready for paint

f11_zpsc4a0d374.jpg

Rob

Latest posts

Back