MPC Millennium Falcon

jake

Hi all,
Been working on this kit for a week now and haven't even touched the actual kit yet except for the fact that I don't like the canopy part. So Ive decided to make a new one. Needed to make it a little longer and therefor look a tad larger. The diameter is only a couple mm bigger than the kit part but it looks a lot better than the stubby kit part. It took me at least 10 tries to get this canopy done so there's no way I'm turning back now. Not sure yet if I'm goint to cut into the tunnel and raise it up yet. So here is a weeks work! ;D

P1030703_zps85649453.jpg
P1030705_zps698fbbc9.jpg
P1030707_zps5af86d08.jpg
P1030710_zps78e66e52.jpg

Hey Jake!
Nice work. Looking forward to the next update. I don't know if you've seen this but Jaitea has an amazing building log on this kit. He's turning this piece of junk of a model into a work of art.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,4312.0.html

Cheers

Thanks Frank!, I know about and am following Johns MPC Falcon thread with a close eye! His work is fantastic I agree! I am hoping to take his gracious advice and use it to make my kit look half as good as his is. The MPC kit is like a bare canvas that you have to do A LOT to make look like anything. This is my practice build to prove to myself I maybe have the skills to scratch a 32 incher...,,

jake

You're off to a great start Jake, it looks perfect, looking forward to MORE!!

Thanks guys for the comments!

John

Ahh,,, the more I look at this canopy the more I have to re-do the shape. Its just not cone shaped enough. Back to the drawing board. On a happy note I just ordered an MPC Darth Vader Tie Fighter! :D

Thundergod said:
THE MPC DARTH VADER TIE FIGHTER !!!!! :-X ( Hope you've plenty of time on your hands ! ;D)

Yeah I've seen a few threads about the gaps and filling them etc. And I'm no stranger to bondo and puddy. Always wanted to do an imperial fighter and this deal was way too good to pass up! I wonder if its in scale with the MPC X-wing? Could be a cool diorama.

I've built a couple over the years and they are indeed a challenge , but if you're willing to put in the work it's a pretty good model . I personally think that the recent Revell version is the better kit as it has nice engraved detail and the missing greeblies would be easy to replace . As for scale , the older model is more like 1/24 compared to the X-Wing's (approx ) 1/48 . ;)

Don't forget about the Darth Vader figure in the kit, horribly disfigured....

Fine molds has one at 1/72......

I have that kit in my stash, (been trying to collect some of the kits I had when I was a kid)......had a good look at it in box,.....doesn't look too bad as far as the details go,....some panel lines missing & greeblies needed....perhaps leave out the Vader figure or sculpt a new one????

J

That canopy looks great. If your not happy though make another, but dont give up. Its really good.

Not giving up Scott, no way. Already got the cone done and will start the windows and framing in the A.M. Ive got too much Falcon fever to quit now. ;)

Eh up buddy,no don't give up ya build looks sweet mym8,just keep plodding on.it's not a sprint its a marathon!lol cheers dude love ya work so far....cheers peza

I'll be following with interest , as I've an old MPC Falcon which I've got on my list of projects for this year . I know what you mean about the cockpit , what about the "too thick" body issue ?

Thundergod said:
I'll be following with interest , as I've an old MPC Falcon which I've got on my list of projects for this year . I know what you mean about the cockpit , what about the "too thick" body issue ?

Hi Thundergod, Yes the body (sidewalls) are too thick or tall. I plan to cut these walls down to about half their size and scratch build them back up with kit parts. But not tank parts, don't have the cash for that. I plan to use epoxy sculpt and styrene for the certain pieces on the side walls, like the wankel engine for example. Ive got some work cut out for me I know. And here is my newest cockpit build up. Its 4.4 MM diameter and so far my favorite. Its the one on the far right. Let me know what you think in comparison to the others.

Got the correct shape, finally. (or at least I like it)
22_zps2de78a5c.jpg
Scratched up the forward frame ring
21_zpse802a1de.jpg
Marked my window
42_zps5616fe90.jpg
The one on the right. I'm sticking with that one...
41_zpsc411e858.jpg

You likely know my thoughts on remaking parts I'm not happy with Jake ;D

I end up going back & repeating myself, thats why my builds take so long!

Did you happen to see the brilliant 3D reconstructions by Andre (vfxsup64) on The Replica Prop Forum of the 5 Foot studio model.
He used hundreds of high res reference photos of the model & fed them into a program that can make a virtual model......he's still got heaps to refine....but.....images he's posted are excellent for measurements

The thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f10/sw-anh-5-foot-studio-scale-millennium-falcon-build-199048/index7.html#post3299270

Now these images are HUGE,.....my advice would be to grab them while you can!!

sw-anh-5-foot-studio-scale-millennium-falcon-build-mf_photogramorthosfinal-color-output0002.jpg-321394d1399442111

sw-anh-5-foot-studio-scale-millennium-falcon-build-mf_photogramorthosfinal-color-output0003.jpg-321393d1399442111

sw-anh-5-foot-studio-scale-millennium-falcon-build-mf_photogramorthosfinal-color-output0001.jpg-321395d1399442111

J

Latest posts

Back