MPC AT-ST or Making a Silk Purse From a Sow's Ear

jellis11

Hey guys, it been a while since I've posted anything here or actually started a new project, so bear with me....I picked this little gem up on e-bay a few years ago for a few bucks and after opening the box I realized why it was such a steal. There is a stunning lack of detail in this kit and the detail that does exist is very rough. So, I am going to try to modify and add as much detail in as my skills will allow. That being said.....

I started with the "head" and the first issue was the fit of the hatch. The mechanism that allowed the hatch to open and close would not let it set all the way back for a flush fit, so after a bit of trimming I convinced it to set nice and tight. I will come back later and fill any gaps.

Almost all of the reference photos I've seen shows the shutters or "eyelids" in the open position. they are molded shut in this kit, so decided to cut them out and fabricate some new ones from sheet styrene. Also, note that there is a serious sink mark that will need to be filled right square in the middle of the "face".

I also went ahead and put the leg assemblies together so I could see what I was working with. I started drilling a few through holes at the pivot points. My plan here is to detail these areas out with brass rod and styrene tubing. The fence cutters or "toes" will also need to be removed and re-installed with brass tubing.

That is all for now, hopefully you guys find this interesting. I am open to any comments or suggestions any of you may have. Thanks for looking and I'll post more progress as I go!

IMG_0063_zpsikx7hjjm.jpg
IMG_0056_zps5076rwky.jpg
IMG_0057_zpsisuhu4mp.jpg
IMG_0058_zpsosnzbebm.jpg
IMG_0061_zpspfztb37s.jpg
IMG_0062_zps9uajbylb.jpg

It's a pretty basic kit, as you know, so best of luck.

Here's my Evernote notebook with image reference if you need it.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/ianalbinson/atst

Good luck with this one.
Seeing it makes me more than willing to wait for the upcoming Bandai version.

I think you're on the right track here, though

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

Quaralane, the Bandai kits do look pretty cool, I've never had any experience with them, but I'll have to see one to be convinced....something about "highly detailed, colored plastic"

I didn't get much done last night, but still moving forward..... I used a razor saw and removed the fence cutters ("toes") and filled the gap with epoxy sculpt. I also started thinning out the blades on the cutters just a bit. After everything sets up I'll start reshaping the foot. The idea here is to create a "void" where the piston attaches inside the foot and make the piston itself a bit more believable.

I also used the left over epoxy sculpt to fill the space in the right side foot for more weight and to possibly insert a pin since I am planning on displaying it with the left foot off the ground.

I am planning on replacing the "spring" with rigid flat brass and rebuilding the "roller" on the backside of the legs, so I went ahead and started removing the molded in parts.

More to come....Thanks for looking!

IMG_0064_zps095ttece.jpg
IMG_0067_zps8z5xi91z.jpg
IMG_0066_zpsmbnsoxdz.jpg

After amputation of the left toes and a bit of cutting, digging and sanding I think this is gonna be a big improvement!

Thanks for looking!!
IMG_0069_zpslnbaecmm.jpg

More progress over the weekend....I fabricated the new cutters and removed all of the molded in detail for the "spring" and "roller" on the backside of the leg, then fabricated new ones with rod, tubing and flat stock. Just need to finish fabricating the middle "toe" on the cutters.

Thanks for looking!
IMG_0073_zpsij4yd3e5.jpg
IMG_0075_zpsnike20dc.jpg
IMG_0076_zpses8yxf4e.jpg
IMG_0077_zpsbh4ir7tr.jpg
IMG_0079_zpsupbd8ccl.jpg

Love the thread title. Very appropriate. Your work looks great, keep it up.

No pictures, but I've decided that the claws/cutters were way too big and overwhelming....I'm gonna remove these and fabricate some that are a bit smaller and less obtrusive.

Last bit of modifications on the leg assembly....I think I got it where I want it! Just gotta do the other side now!
IMG_0098_zpsvs5rc6b4.jpg
IMG_0099_zpsdg265z9h.jpg

Impressive with just the few things accomplished so far. I was just looking at my build of this kit last night. I'll be watching your progress with interest looking for inspiration.

Latest posts

Back