Most expensive paint colors

Docbritofmf

So I've been busy polishing a turd.. I mean trying to paint the revell Saturn v rocket sorry I get things mixed up some times lol... But while I was working on that I had to make a paint run ..

Being the money smart and savy (sarcasm included) responsible person I bought a bunch of colors I may or may not one day need and when I went to the register I realized my math and it's math didn't quite add up.

Now I've never been a Nuke like Urumomo because math wasn't my strong subject in school so having some stuff not equal out correctly wasn't a shock but this total was off by a few bucks more so I asked what changed the price and got a surprising answer.

At my local hobby shop Tamiya acrylics go for 2.90 a small bottle and 3.48 a larger bottle I think it's something like 10ml to 30ml I could be wrong. Over all I don't think it's to bad of a price Laquer paint is some where in that range as well Testors are alot cheaper and vellejo is a bit more per bottle depending on specific vellejo brand for example Mecha, model air, ECT..

But as it turns out the offender happened to be my bottle of Tamiya Titanium Silver which for the small bottle was 3.68. it was explained to me that while the vast majority of Tamiya paints are the same price there are a few colors of significantly different prices.. titanium silver happened to be one.

So that lead me to wonder do any of you know of specific paint colors that are higher priced then the rest and does anyone know why they are more expensive.?

It's like everything else , the more expensive the raw material and the more refined that material is , the more expensive the end product .
Economy of scale is always a factor also .
The fewer of something made the higher the unit cost .
So the pigment , the way it must be processed and the overall amount they produce and sell will affect the price .

Or ,
your hobby shop is just sticking it to you , lol .
Actually , that could be a factor too . They might pay more per bottle if they are buying fewer than the other colors they sell a lot more of . So they pass that cost to the buyer .

It's like everything else , the more expensive the raw material and the more refined that material is , the more expensive the end product .
Economy of scale is always a factor also .
The fewer of something made the higher the unit cost .
So the pigment , the way it must be processed and the overall amount they produce and sell will affect the price .

Or ,
your hobby shop is just sticking it to you , lol .
Actually , that could be a factor too . They might pay more per bottle if they are buying fewer than the other colors they sell a lot more of . So they pass that cost to the buyer .
Ok so now the real question lol know of any specific colors that cost more then others

So I've been busy polishing a turd.. I mean trying to paint the revell Saturn v rocket sorry I get things mixed up some times lol... But while I was working on that I had to make a paint run ..

Being the money smart and savy (sarcasm included) responsible person I bought a bunch of colors I may or may not one day need and when I went to the register I realized my math and it's math didn't quite add up.

Now I've never been a Nuke like Urumomo because math wasn't my strong subject in school so having some stuff not equal out correctly wasn't a shock but this total was off by a few bucks more so I asked what changed the price and got a surprising answer.

At my local hobby shop Tamiya acrylics go for 2.90 a small bottle and 3.48 a larger bottle I think it's something like 10ml to 30ml I could be wrong. Over all I don't think it's to bad of a price Laquer paint is some where in that range as well Testors are alot cheaper and vellejo is a bit more per bottle depending on specific vellejo brand for example Mecha, model air, ECT..

But as it turns out the offender happened to be my bottle of Tamiya Titanium Silver which for the small bottle was 3.68. it was explained to me that while the vast majority of Tamiya paints are the same price there are a few colors of significantly different prices.. titanium silver happened to be one.

So that lead me to wonder do any of you know of specific paint colors that are higher priced then the rest and does anyone know why they are more expensive.?
All metal paints are significantly higher in price. The material and process is an extra cost and step in the paint process, so you pay for it on the end. It's real metal flake.

Latest posts

Back