Monogram Twin Mustang F-82G

danimal518

I just finished my first model. I still need to put a dull coat over it to clean up the glossy patches and then weather it, but thought I'd post some pictures to get some comments. I made some mistakes on this model, so feel free to point out anything you notice that can help me for next time.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to use a dark wash on a model that is painted black?

20121211_181224.jpg

20121211_181241.jpg

20121211_181259.jpg

20121211_181317.jpg

20121211_181331.jpg

20121211_181401.jpg

Well ...Apart from the patchy paint ,which will even up once you add your dullcoat ....I really dont see any problems . For a first model I think you've done a fine job :)

Chris.

I agree with Chris, the patches you see should even out under a matte coat.

I do see one minor issue--you've got the national insignia on the port fuselage upside down. You could still remove it and replace it, though.

As to using washes, as you suspect, dark washes might not work too well on the black background. For weathering, may I suggest that you try using grays and browns? Have a look for photo sources of black aircraft. Engine exhaust stains might tend to look light gray on the outside, shading towards a medium brown in the center, where the exhaust is hottest when it hits surfaces.

Also, you can have some fun adding chipping on this one. Aluminum flecks will show very nicely against the black background. Again, I'd look for photographic references, F-82's in Korea, for example, and see if you can find something to model on.

I hope you had fun with this kit. I built it, as a kid, and I remember it fondly. I'd like to build it again someday.

Excellent job and congratulations on your first model completed! Every model has mistakes it's just the more you do the more tricks you learn to hide your mistakes ;D Looks great though cant wait to see your next one.

the Baron said:
I agree with Chris, the patches you see should even out under a matte coat.

I do see one minor issue--you've got the national insignia on the port fuselage upside down. You could still remove it and replace it, though.

As to using washes, as you suspect, dark washes might not work too well on the black background. For weathering, may I suggest that you try using grays and browns? Have a look for photo sources of black aircraft. Engine exhaust stains might tend to look light gray on the outside, shading towards a medium brown in the center, where the exhaust is hottest when it hits surfaces.

Also, you can have some fun adding chipping on this one. Aluminum flecks will show very nicely against the black background. Again, I'd look for photographic references, F-82's in Korea, for example, and see if you can find something to model on.

I hope you had fun with this kit. I built it, as a kid, and I remember it fondly. I'd like to build it again someday.

Thanks for the advice! How would I go about removing the upside decal? Would I be able to just re-apply it, or is it lost?

Also, what's the best way to get aluminum flecks?

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back