ModelMan's MPC Cutaway

ModelMan

I actually started this some 4yrs ago and haven't worked on it in at least 2.5yrs now. The first vid reviews where the build is at with a look at al the wiring and fiber work that's been done. Pt2 covers where I'm going with this the third vid shows off my engine lighting ideas.

And at the begining of Pt1, there is a quick look at my two entries. The cutaway is my personal entry. My finished one (of 5yrs) is getting an easy engine refit with Modeler's Brand LEDTape. I'll have a different thread for that by the end of the month.

Here's video 1/3.
FalconGroupBuild: 1/3 Overview

By the by, the cutaway may require one piece of moderate surgery depending on your tastes...

The computer station in the holding area where ANH Han sits, runs directly under the upper gun well! If you don't want that to happen, you have to cut the doorway wall down and move the computer wall forward some.

I used the cut wall piece to patch the hole that moving the computer station forward creates on the far side. You'll see this when you make yours and I point it out in one of these vids here.

Right on Tom! I've been wanting to see you bust a move on this project ever since I stumbled across your channel a couple years ago. May the force be with you!!

Yeah Tom,
I remember seeing at least one video for the Cut-away Falcon, and have been wanting to see the conclusion.
BTW, I think I may need to get some of that Double density led action from ya...
;D

Just saw your update vid. How do you keep track of all the wires in the ship? Glad to see you back at the bench working on the Falcon. Also, I know you said there are about 9 layers of paint on the ship, but what colors are you using? Thanks

noc5659 said:
Just saw your update vid. How do you keep track of all the wires in the ship? Glad to see you back at the bench working on the Falcon. Also, I know you said there are about 9 layers of paint on the ship, but what colors are you using? Thanks

black white and silver.

Here's the 'formula', but it looks like I strayed by the front end...

Paint strategy: the base factory fresh color is made up of six layers with more to come -- washes:
1. initial medium black.
2. medium black.
3. medium Silver.
4. light white
5. Medium white.
6. Medium white.
7. all additional factory colors.
8. Dirt wash, 1
9. Dirt wash, 2.
10. Etc..

Here's the log I used to keep
http://www.twinlitworlds.com/modelwerx/html/kits/kit002_cutaway.html

Second video is almost uploaded now.

I was gonna edit prior posts, but seem to have lost the 'modify/edit' button oddly enough...

Anyway, here's the wall in the way of the gunwell.
sw_falcut_0007.jpg

Here's the walls, pre-cutting
sw_falcut_0014.jpg

In the new position, post-cut
sw_falcut_0018.jpg

Here is the cut made with the computer moved an entire tape-width forward.
sw_falcut_0017.jpg

Here is the modified computer wall piece
sw_falcut_0025.jpg

And here are two shots of the original ccfl engine idea. even with the foil, two tubes just weren't bright enough.
sw_falcut_0059.jpg

sw_falcut_0063.jpg

as the pictures show, I did at one point think I was gonna put some EL wire in there. But that idea fell to the side with fiber optics.

Lots more pix and original thoughts here:
http://www.twinlitworlds.com/modelwerx/html/kits/kit002_cutaway.html

Sweet scene! That is all the reference I need for my MPC DB94 diorama. Thanks.

I've been following this build with great interest back in the days You've been first working on it.
Great job! Totally!
The amount of lights You've put into the Han's navigational console fascinates me. Thumbs up!
I remember You've also made a great dio, depicting the Falcon landed in some wild area. Would You add it to the final result to?

Thanks for posting that shot, Java. It's about he only one with the engines on view.

Sol, that riverbed dio didn't make it to my new apartment. It was too big, heavy and delicate to transport. I'll make another one sometime that is lighter, more transportable and better preserved.

A lot of work to both do and undo in there, Tom.
Should be very nice once she's done, though

like the look of the lighting see how it turns out and i might treat myself to some of that double density.
do you know what the cost is shipping to the u.k. that stuff would of done a great job on the excelsior warp necelles .luv the vids modelman you keep building n i'll keep watching. one last question when are you planning on starting that cooper star destroyer that's one build i am looking forward to seeing.

Latest posts

Back