Model Kit Sprue Database

LrdSatyr8

Is there a site or a database out there that shows all the pieces that are on a sprue for an individual kit that you can look up? Would be nice! Like say for example I buy a kit online and it comes in pieces, I want to make sure I have all the pieces that came with the kit. It would be nice to be able to go to a site, type in the name of the kit and who made it, and it will display a image of all the sprues that that kit comes with. Make sense?

That would be nice, but man, what an undertaking.
Think of all the man hours that would have to go into something like that.

But most of the new kits have a overview of sprues on the first instructions pages.

Well I know that there are many people out there that have taken photos of there kits, and some even high def pics of he sprues. If we could collect those that would be a great beginning! I know that there has to be someone out there that has been going thru the identifying of all the kits used on the Falcon has all the sprue pics somewhere!

7165jay07 said:
The company listed below do do this for most of the kits they list but they are not always in english :) http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10149317
Thanks,
Jay

Now see that's what i'm talking about... would be even better if they took photos of each individualy sprue outside of the plastic bags and perhaps both sides of it but that could be very useful! What do the rest of you think?

I like the concept.
It would be a lot of work... I mean are you talking a database for every model made?

ModelMakerMike said:
I like the concept.
It would be a lot of work... I mean are you talking a database for every model made?

Why not... I'm sure the database would be huge, but it wouldn't be impossible. And in the future it would greatly help if you're missing a piece from a kit, go to the database and see what it looks like, and scratch build that part or model it in 3D and print it up. Would extremely helpful!

That would be kewl.
Somebody with a good scanner, and no day job could do a lot of it.
Or individuals could contribute, BUT that would affect the quality of the images, as not everyone would have access to the same level of technology. And since we're dreaming, why not go for the BIG dream, and have someone re-create all the sprues in a 3-d cad program, so people could download the file and make their replacement parts or a complete model kit. Of course we would have to go out and buy decent 3-d printers to manufacture the parts. My comments may sound cynical, BUT I think it actually is a good idea, just a very difficult one to realize. Maybe we could do a "Kickstarter" project and have people send money for the cause, and we could make it happen. :D
;D ;D ;D

You don't need a 3D printer when you've got online printing sources like Shapeways that do the printing for a very good price. The logistics would be enormous... especially for the older out of production model kits of the pre-70s... but I'm thinking, that a good place to start would be with all the kits that were used to kit bash the 6 foot Millenuim Falcon. I know that there are tons of identified kits that were used in the making of that studio scale model. And just getting photos of the sprues for at least that one project would be a good place to start.

Latest posts

Back