Model Building Surface?

alerae

whats a good surface, mat, or cover to do models on.

in a lot of videos i watch they all have a green matt with a ruler on on side and a circle in the middle. it looks like rubber but i cant tell. any ideas?

Those mat are call cutting mat or self healing mat. They are ususaly green and made of a hard plastic. You can cut on it and if you are carefull it would not leave a cut mark on it.

You can find them in any craft store in different size.

Those mats are called-self healing cutting mats. They are great for protecting your work surface. The key is a sturdy, solid table or desk or whatever under the mat. It's nice to have a heavy piece of glass on which to assemble. Nice and flat. Some Guys like a metal sheet so they can use magnets to hold things square as the glue sets.

Myself, I have an L-shaped desk. It is a sturdy steel frame with a heavy glass top. On one wing I have the cutting mat and mainly do cutting, shaping and assembly. On the other wing I do the cleaner work such as brush painting. The glass is nice because glue and paint easily scrape off.

Again, a solid, stable work surface is very important. Superior lighting is a must have for successful modelling. Also a nice, comfy chair is key.

The MOST important thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself!! ;D

Latest posts

Back