Milliput consistency question

Marktastrophe

Hey all, this seems like a silly question... But I milliput should be an actual putty consistency when mixed right?

I've got my first bit here and it's sticking to hands and gloves like in clumps, and is keeping a fibrous texture where it kind of rips instead of stretching.
PXL_20220423_005544824.jpg
PXL_20220423_005629463.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
Am I doing it wrong? Is this old?

Hmmmm - I switched over to Aves Apoxie Sculpt so long ago , but I don't remember it behaving like that .
Hold on a few minutes and I'll mix some up ,,, which is several years old so we'll see .

Well , this was a good exercise in culling expired chit :D
The partial I had was completely dried out so that went into the trash , the unopened box is getting there .
Both parts are pretty tough but I kneaded them together .
I remember now that it's more sticky than Aves , but it's staying together and not tearing apart like that . Only leaving some residue on the gloves .
Just taking a lot of effort to work it ; I'm sure due to it's age .

What are those gloves made of ? The nitrile ones work really well with epoxies .

s-l640.jpg

I kneaded some more without the gloves and it's leaving only a slight residue .
But ,
I think it's more sticky when it's fresh .
This stuff is probably 7 + years old at least .

Thanks for all the info. I'm wondering if I'm being ridiculous or if I got some knock off tripe...
Every image I've seen of the standard says yellow grey on it, but my eBay ordered one does not list color. Only standard.

The gloves are nitrile as well. It stuck to my hands the same way, and it kind of dissolves in water.

LOL , dissolves in water ?!
Uh , that definitely shouldn't be the case . I used to use water working with it because it's so sticky .
I like the Aves way better -- plus you get more for your money , volume-wise .
I have the white . It just says " superfine " and " white " under the " Milliput " . Of course , again , it's old and maybe they changed the packaging since then .

The more I think about it , it's stickiness -- leaving a lot of material on my gloves when mixing it -- was a characteristic I didn't like .
Set it aside for 5 or 6 years . It improves with age , like fine wine LOL

That 4 gram ball I mixed up has started to set up .
It did become a fair more workable as I kneaded it , but it was definitely softer when it was new .

Yeah first attempt I tried working it with wetted fingers, and it still got all over my hands, and turned into soup.
I was expecting something closer to kneadadite where water is needed to make it NOT stick, and for it to hold together since it can supposedly cure under water.

I'm thinking I got duped via eBay on this one, but I suppose it could just be hot off the presses. I'll check on the large marble sized ball I left overnight.

It is rock hard... But It still has a paper clay consistency to it. And the little bits left in water just crumble with some ease.
PXL_20220423_122432051.jpg

Have you ever used the wood fill that has plastic and wood fibers in it? It's that consistency, just way stickier. No way to get an even mix with the amount that sticks to my hands regardless of wetting (and unintentional soup making).

I'll probably email milliput with my pics to see what they can offer for info.

It ain't very expensive is it? Never bought any personally, just chunk it and take a trip to Hobby Lobby.

It ain't very expensive is it? Never bought any personally, just chunk it and take a trip to Hobby Lobby.
No not too bad. It's just two hours minimum round trip for me to get more. I'm gonna play with this one more. Use some as gap filler to be sanded and try leaving some out to see how it does after drying a bit.

Latest posts

Back