MiG 37 E - Ferret - Revived WiP

Mikey_W_1980

Hi,

As per the title, I've just purchased the Italeri MiG 37 E - "Ferret" for the very reasonable sum of £7.49.

1373-large.jpg

I used to have a micromachine model of this when I was younger so this kit will be interesting to build.

It's not yet arrived, hopefully in the next few days.

My query is, has anyone had any issues with this kit at all?

As for colour schemes, I'm a little unsure..options are

- Flat Black "stealth" look?
- Light(ish) Grey as per the box art work?
- A more abstract cammo pattern like this example http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934084-italeri-172-mig-37-ferret-e/

Thoughts and ideas are always welcomed

Re: MiG 37 E - Ferret

ooo fun kit. it's a bit simple. pit has little or no detail. decals are nice though.

that splinter scheme is really nice. you might try a gray-tone variant of it?

Hi,

I was thinking of that...I have several shades of grey (not quite 50 though) left over from my Galactica build. So that is a possibility.

WOW, haven't seen one of those in quite some time. Built one back when I was a kid, probably still have remnants of it here somewhere. Simple kit, but cool design!

I like the three colour splinter scheme.
I built a flat black one when I was returning to the hobby.
Didn't there used to be a 1:48 scale version also?

nicholassagan said:
there IS a 1/48 version from testors. same sprues basically

It's out of production (I think). I built one back in the late '80s or early '90s.

Did one of these a long time ago.
Not sure if I still have it hanging around or not
Was a fairly straightforward build, IIRC

yanpol said:
Nice. I remember seeing this kit in my city's hobby store (which sadly doesn't exist anymore). I would use either the Su-47 or the T-50 as inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sukhoi_Su-47_Berkut_(S-37)_in_2001.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sukhoi_T-50_Maksimov.jpg

Good luck.

OOOOOO0000I like the Su-47 paint scheme, but also the T-50 Splinter Scheme too.

I think a rummage through what paints I have, possibly a medium grey base, 1 lighter grey shade and perhaps
a white as a third camo colour.

The underside matt black with white painted undercarriage and weapons bays.

Will keep you posted chaps, really appriciate the input and keep it coming ;D

So the MiG has just turned up at work.....much ridicule from my boss asking how old I am...but frak em!!

Thing kits is really small!! a lot smaller than I realised.

Really simple, but a lot of flash from the mold to tidy up too. Seriously considering the splinter paint scheme but in an arctic camouflage colour scheme.

Right then kids.......Now that the Spit is done, I'm going to revive this wee little kit.

I started on the cockpit, though I think it will need stripping and starting again....either that, or I may smoke out the windows.

should be a quick build, and I may do it with gear up and on a pose-able stand. from Airfix.

Updates as they happen :)

OK....so a little update time.....this kit is ridiculously easy to put together very very little parts to it. I'm going to go with a gear up approach and source a 1:72 scale display stand to mount it on.

A few pics for you

DSC_0624.jpg

The cock pit was very very basic and too small to really do any detail work, so just a basic paint scheme. I'm thinking of tinting out the cockpit canopy as well....for added extra dramatic effect.
DSC_0625.jpg

Wings attached
DSC_0626.jpg

BIG seam lines....and a few gaps around the edging, but nothing that's not easily fixed
DSC_0627.jpg

Looking ahead to possible paint schemes, I'm just going to use what supplies I have ready to use.....so the Arctic splinter scheme is an option. Grey, black & white.

Alternatively, I still have paint left over from the Spitfire build.....so I was thinking the Grey Green underside, with an Earth brown / RAF Green splinter cammo scheme but with Soviet markings still.

I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on these cammo suggestions?

More to follow ;D

Only a small update tonight.

Gap seem filling and the tail wings have been temporarily fixed and the canopy masked up ready for primer and base coat.....only I ran our of primer half way through.....gutted!!!

DSC_0628.jpg

I'm going to have the main weapon bay doors open when it is in it's final pose on the display stand.

DSC_0629.jpg

I'll swing by the hobby store on my way home from work tomorrow, pick up some more primer and the mpre Sea Ocean Grey for the cammo pattern.

TTFN

Me again!

A small update for the MiG 37 E

Primer and base coat applied after a pit stop to my local hobby store....Light Greay & Sea Grey rattle cans purchased...Humrols this time around. They apply well and dry really quickly as well. More for you buck as well.

Masking with blu-tac and masking tape give a nice soft edge
DSC_0631.jpg

Sea Grey applied and masking taken off
DSC_0633.jpg

Slightly random lines, but inspired from the PAK T-50 Stealth fighter
DSC_0634.jpg

Next up......Complete the bomb bay, detail painting and decals.....seal them in and then weathering.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Looking really sharp here.
Almost making me want to see about finding a new one of these for myself

Latest posts

Back