Micro Mark punch set

noname

I thought I would share my new toy/tool with the rest of you. Although I had the understanding that the Waldron punch set was of better quality, I decided to chance the Micro Mark set. Why? Simply because I wanted to order a pair of dial calipres at the same time, and although not much cheaper than the Waldron (less than $10 I believe) I felt the Micro Mark set was a little better deal due to the fact it had three extra sized holes. The Waldron miniature set contains six different sized punches and the Micro Mark set contains nine.

Here is what it looks like.

IMG_9886.jpg

I was a little disappointed as two of the punches wouldn't fit in the holes. Before I ordered, I asked Micro Mark if they would check the punches before delivery as I have heard of some people having problems. I was told they would and that if I needed to send them back the shipping would be paid for by them. This made me feel more confident. I called Micro Mark today and was told that in fact I would have to pay for shipping if returned. I decided to play with the punches some more and sure enough I did eventually get the punches to fit. After looking on the net I understand this is normal for the Micro Mark punches.

Then It was time to decide what end to use for punching and which side to strike with as there is no indication. After close inspection I noticed that none of the punches were cut flush and some were actually crude. Not exactly what I would call a quality made product. ::) So after choosing the worst end of each punch in which to strike and temporarily marking it with masking tape, I tried them out. Believe it or not they didn't work too bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

Here is the resulting photo.

IMG_9890.jpg

The mis placed punched out circle is a little less than perfect. The second try was better. I'm not sure what I should be expecting but I assume the Waldron set would have been a tad more precise. Sorry for the photos as I know they do not tell you alot but this is as close as I could zoom in.

Time will tell how good these punches are and hold up. If anybody was in the market for punches and price was not the issue, I would suggest going for both the Waldron sets. Both the basic and the sub miniature set. But be warned, the basic miniature set will set you back a minimum of $50 while the sub miniature set (consists of ten punches with .018 being the smallest!) will set you back closer to $100!!
However,if you are on a budget you may want to try the Micro Mark set. They are not perfect but will get the job done.

If anybody else has some punch and die set experience pleas feel free to share.

Actually, I'm quite happy with my MicroMark punch set. Not only is it useful for the disc punching out of plastic, I used it to punch tying holes into my Lee Valley wood veneer custom Christmas gift tags too!
I've found that it punches a pretty good disc. My punches don't seem to have any glaring irregularities. 9 sizes for 30 bucks is a pretty good deal, IMHO. Anything smaller and I would just be using sliced styrene rod anyways.

As I said they seem to make a decent punched hole but I've only just tried them. What I'm disappointed in the most is how the punches were cut. I just tried to take a close up picture but they are too blurry. If they work they work but it seems like they are not very precise in how the cut the steel rods/punches. Some have quite an angle on them. I don't think it would take too much to get a good, clean flush cut.

When I did a little research on the web I had found some people complaining of the holes not lining up. I haven't found anything negative about the Waldron set. I think it would be in Micro Mark's best interest to be more consistent. I'm just a stickler for quality I guess. However, the Micro Mark is the bigger bang for the buck like you said.

Micro Mark have kind of made their living ripping other peoples designs off and as in this case, at times the quality just isn't there...a few of their more expensive tools are remakes of The Small Shop tools...

Yeah, I've fallen hook, line, and sinker for a few of their tools. I've found that a trip to Princess Auto (our version of Harbor Freight Tools) usually gets me what I drool over in the MicroMark catalogs for only a few bucks. Micro tweezer sets, metal straight-edges, putty applicator tools, wire bender pliers, and hobby clamps just to name a few. However, there's no substitute for my MicroMark PE bender, grab-iron bender, or punch set! Is there? ???

Um...perhaps? :p

I paid the same price for my MicroMark PE bender as the competitive one from the Small Shop though. It's worked wonders for me. There is a bigger selection of them at the Small Shop, you have me there! Keep in mind that this is the first I've heard of The Small Shop (or any sized shop for that matter [ba-dum-cha!] ) too. In all seriousness, I will most certainly be checking there for my modelling/miniature tool needs from now on.

I still stand by my claim that the MicroMark punch & die set is good bang for the buck. Not the best set, but still good.

Jeeves said:
Micro Mark have kind of made their living ripping other peoples designs off and as in this case, at times the quality just isn't there...a few of their more expensive tools are remakes of The Small Shop tools...

While I don't see Micro-Mark copying The Small Shop's tools (they do sell the Mission Models set of tools such as the Etch-Mate, Grabhandler, etcetera) do NOT think for a moment I will defend them as I wholly agree with your first comment.

Aside from copying Archer Fine Transfers technique of applying resin to decal paper (they make it sound as their R&D department came up with it), they have a history of producing their own copies whenever a company THEY distribute has an uncertain future.

From their web site:
"Micro-Mark directed its engineering talents into producing yet another revolutionary model building technique: a way to apply these surface details quickly, easily and inexpensively. We've developed a way to produce scale size rivet heads and other surface details, such as grillwork and louvers, realistically shaped and contoured, on the surface of our blank decal paper."

They seem to have been inspired by Archer but I won't buy them to find out. Perhaps someone who bought them can post images?

When Tenax 7 seemed to be going under, Micro-Mark produced Same Stuff. Their latest catalog at least removed references to Tenax 7. But, the story isn't over...

What can be shown are the blatant copies of Northwest Short Line (NWSL) tools. This is posted on the NWSL web site:
"Please Note: New Jersy-based catalog retailer Micro Mark is importing and selling their own pirated versions of these tools. NWSL tools are designed, developed, and manufactured in the USA. We urge you to help stop piracy by not supporting those who practice it. We do not provide service or support for pirated versions of our products."

Here are images to show the 'similarities'
1235836098924-1289316994.jpeg

NWSL The Chopper

84046_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Chop-It

1235837069342-1380862162.jpeg

NWSL The True Sander

84048_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Sand-It

12358378713851475784332.jpeg

NWSL The Duplicutter II

84047_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Duplicate-It

123474809684464735242.jpeg

NWSL The SensiPress+

83539_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Press-It

1234748366327-1442650167.jpeg

NWSL The Riveter (installed on a The Sensipress)

83540_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Emboss-It

Another item Micro Mark distributed at one time and the copy they now make:

home_background.png

Rustall (four bottles of 1. Rustall, 2. Blackwash, 3. Deadflat, 4. Dust)

84625_R.jpg

Micro-Mark's Rust-n-Dust
1. Rust wash, 2. Black Wash, 3. Clear Flat, 4. Dust Powder.

I need to stop as I am getting disgusted. This is only one company, of course, there are more that share this practice.

Back to the punches, I bought both sets in the 1980s and have only needed to replace a few punches. While I bought my replacements from Waldron before they were sold, I understand you can buy replacement punches from Roll Models as well. These are quality tools worth the investment. I can't say that about MicroMark's punch sets as I have yet a reason to buy them but the Reheat hex punches I bought have lost the sharp hex shape so that one is one I won't replace.

Regards,

Wow, another very informative post. Does everyone but me know about this? I only ordered some scenic cement from them several months back, and they have since sent me several catalogs advertising 'MicroMark Exclusives!' among other items. Now I know the rest of the story.

:eek:. I had no idea?

Thanks for posting the Obvious! Wow they aren't trying to hide it much... Even the names are similar!
LOL

What I would like is a punch tool that works like the Riveter.... With a draw bar! So you can punch many
Without the hammering.... I seen a tool like that 20 years ago in Germany... With a multi tool head and all you needed to do is rotate the die and keep pressing down.... Man! Why I didn't buy it? Beats me!

Take care! And thanks for sharing your experiences with the punch set!

Norm.

Latest posts

Back