MG RGM-79(G) GM Sniper

steezy

Hi everyone! Here is the kit I'm currently working on! Hopefully MrNatural doesn't mind a second GM Sniper being part of this group build:) I had started this kit a long time ago and didn't get far with it before shelving it. I would feel kinda guilty if I started another new kit without finishing up the last of my wips. I've got a vintage VF-1 kit that I need to finish after this and then I'll be free to work on anything!

SANY0001-12.jpg

This is one awesome kit. It has a strong military feel to it and it has a lot of potential for customizing. I shelved this kit before, because I didn't think I could do it justice. I'm ready now, and I've got some great ideas for customizing it.

I had started to paint the weapons before. I stripped the paint off of those pieces, because I've got a different plan for them, and I need to remove the seam lines.

SANY0011-3.jpg

SANY0004-11.jpg

SANY0005-11.jpg

The rest of the pieces had been sanded, but now I've got to remove all the seam lines. The shoulders took forever to clean up. I want them to look like one piece and the seam lines were so bad. I had to add some pla-plate to fix a gap.

SANY0012-5.jpg

SANY0006-12.jpg

SANY0002-15.jpg

SANY00042.jpg

SANY0007-7.jpg

The first thing I'm going to do to customize this is to add a rocket launcher to the shoulders. This is a sniper mobile suit, but it still needs to be equipped for a heavy bombardment. I've got to scratch build mount onto the shoulder.

SANY00062.jpg

SANY0005-12.jpg

That's all for now! There is still so much clean up needed, this kit may take a while.

Great !

But are you sure he will be up to the task ? I mean, that's a heavy weapon you're posing on his shoulder.

Awesome man! Its cool to see another one of these getting the treatment! Keep up the great work, will be watching.

Alright, so I've just about finished mounting the rocket launcher on the shoulder. The epoxy putty needs to cure before I can use a tap to thread a hole to put a couple screws through it. Once everything has dried I can clean everything up some.

SANY0002-16.jpg

SANY0001-13.jpg

Now I found another rocket launcher that I'm tempted to recast in resin and mount on the other shoulder. What do you guys think?
SANY0003-16.jpg

This GM is turning into a heavy arms.

Nice progress! I don't know about that other rocket launcher. It looks a bit unbalanced, but that could just be me....

Well...

It's a little too muche but the smaller the better, concerning the soulder. ANy missile launcher should me, on this kind of MS, placed on the arms (like this GM does), the back or event the legs (Zaku). But you can place on the shoulder or even the chest some counter-missiles or whatever tanks have to lure enemies.

With this kind of weaponery on his shoulders, this MS can't stand up on the ground.
Maybe in space ?

YOULI said:
Well...

It's a little too muche but the smaller the better, concerning the soulder. ANy missile launcher should me, on this kind of MS, placed on the arms (like this GM does), the back or event the legs (Zaku). But you can place on the shoulder or even the chest some counter-missiles or whatever tanks have to lure enemies.

With this kind of weaponery on his shoulders, this MS can't stand up on the ground.
Maybe in space ?

This suit comes with a similar sized rocket launcher that is held on the shoulder. This MS was designed to carry it's massive backpack and other massive weapons, so I think it would be able to stand without a problem. Let's just say the rocket launcher is made of super light weight materials, and the stabilizers have been reinforced?

Here's a link to a photo of this MS holding a launcher.
http://mechaion.blogspot.com/2012/05/hg-1144-rgm-79g-gm-ground-type.html

sunsanvil said:
You probably know this, but just in case, in those last photos you have the thighs on backwards. :)

Hey sunsavil, thanks for pointing that out. That's what happens when you don't follow the instruction:)

steezy said:
@YOULI But I agree it might be a little too big, I'll try to make it a little smaller.

But, man, do as you like it... The main goal here is to have fun ! :D Prove me wrong and it will be funnier ! :D :D :D

ANyhow the link you posted show a MS carrying a missile launcher on his arm, not his shoulder. :) It's a big difference even for the pullback (is it the word) of that kind of weapon.

Small update. Testing out the colors for the camo. The white looks out of place, I might change it for a light grey instead. The masking wasn't what I would like it to be. And some of the masking didn't come off smoothly:( The piece looks o rough because I'm doing some wear and tear on this kit, the scratches haven't been painted yet. I'm going to give this the night before I decide whether to redo it or not.

SANY0003-17.jpg

SANY0001-14.jpg

im digging where you're going with the camo! the white does seem a bit bright, maybe a light gray would be better or you could tone it down with washes? maybe? Keep up the great work looking forward to more.

I actually like the coloring. Perhaps not ~pure~ white but an off white, but thats what it looks like in the photos.

One tip: remember the scale of this thing. I've seen some which were done with 1/35 scale camo and it just didnt look right to the eye.

@MrNatural Thanks!

@sunsanvil Thanks!

If I do the layer of black before the white it'll tone it down, and add more contrast between the other colors. I'll give that a try this weekend.

If you plan on doing a bit of weathering, maybe that would tone down the white a bit. I did a camo pattern like this years ago and used a light blue grey color.

Latest posts

Back