MG MSN-001A1 Delta Plus

Thanks Mike :)

I almost forgot to paint one of the blue pieces :-[

Fortunately I noticed it when looking at these pictures and went back to finish the job.

Working on the gun.

20121031_delta-plus-mg_0001.jpg

Will be dry brushing some lighter metallic colour to bring out those sweet details, I think.

Added some decals from Samuel Decal.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0001.jpg

Can't say I'm overly impressed. They smudge all the minor details so none of the text is readable. The film if pretty thin so they don't look like ugly stickers at least.

I really like the design of the head.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0003.jpg

The colar area with the two shades of chrome, though the effect is not a noticeable on this picture as it is live

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0002.jpg

Get me some legs ;D You can see a bit of the eyes here. They are made in an unusual way having the out side portion smooth and the eyes them selves carved in the inside of the clear piece. I put a reflective tape behind painted the borders of the eyes black in the inside and the outside was airbrushed clear blue.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0004.jpg

The feet have almost as many parts as a leg but most of their detail gets hidden.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0005.jpg

And now the whole body still without its wings or equipment.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0006.jpg

And with everything laid out.

20121101_delta-plus-mg_0007.jpg

The decals that went on the shield are much better than the other ones. Basically bigger shapes look great while the small warning signs look like crap.

Anyway, all that's left is to finish the gun and apply some clear in a couple of areas. Will be finished by the weekend as planned.

I'm going to blush :)

Thanks guys ! Hope to not screw it in the final stretch ;D

Sweet paint job my friend. Love all the metallics, really makes it look heavy.

You gave it a mechanical look, which is awesome. It does not look like a toy....

MrNatural said:
Sweet paint job my friend. Love all the metallics, really makes it look heavy.

First time I saw this kit I knew he had to be done in metallics. :)

Grendels said:
You gave it a mechanical look, which is awesome. It does not look like a toy....

For me that is a job well done then ;D

TRM said:
Very nice work on this!!! ;)

Cheers :)

JMac said:
Very cool.

I'm glad you like it :)

Just took some photos of the finished product. Should be up by tomorrow.

All done, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0007.jpg

Just to serve as a recap, the inner frame was primed with a mix of Mr Surfacer 1000 and Mr Color black paint. Over that I painted Alclad II Steel.

For the armour I primed with Alclad II Black Base, Alclad Chrome on top and to seal it off I top coated with Alclad Aqua Gloss. This had the effect of dulling the shine of the chrome a bit but that's exactly what I was hopping for, since it was far too shiny for my taste.

The darker bits of armour in the chest section are also painted with Chrome but with only a very light mist so more of the black undercoat come trough. I really like how this turned out, and it's not hard, though you do need to paint in very light layers building up the colour slowly in order to achieve the desired tone and keep it consistent within all the parts.

The blue was achieved with Alclad Transparent Blue over the top coated Chrome, and only these few parts required almost half of 30ml bottle while all the chrome was done with 1/5th to 1/4th of the bottle.

The pistons in the legs are done with Chrome and Titanium Gold.

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0002.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0005.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0008.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0009.jpg

The decals are from Samuel Decal and these in the shield look fine, but with finer detail as the small lettering on most of the other ones the resolution is crap and they don't look very good up close, so I opted to use only a few of them in the blue parts.

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0010.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0011.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0012.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post the eyes are somewhat odd. The clear piece for them has the eyes moulded on the inside, so I put some reflective tape on the section of the head behind the part, painted the inside of the piece black around the eyes and airbrushed the outside clear blue. It works far better than I thought it would.

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0013.jpg

20121103_delta-plus-mg_0014.jpg

And that's it :) comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for watching.

Incredible !

You could send some pictures to Hobby Japan or Dengeki Hobby Magazine to share your works with Japanese Gunpla fans ! You will be well received I believe.

Great work ! COngratulations !

YOULI said:
Incredible !

You could send some pictures to Hobby Japan or Dengeki Hobby Magazine to share your works with Japanese Gunpla fans ! You will be well received I believe.

Great work ! COngratulations !

Wouldn't that be something :)

Thank you.

Grendels said:
It looks like it is made out of metal, and not plastic. Very well done!

Thank you. :)

I'm really happy with it. I managed to achieve what I set out to do and that's always a good thing.

Latest posts

Back