MG MSN-001A1 Delta Plus

Now that I have completed the Age-2 I'll be focusing on this one . I'm thinking of doing a light blue candy coat on him instead of the more traditional flat finish. I'll have to practice this on spare plastic though since I have never done this or use alclads as I'm planing :) all part of the fun.

Looking forward to it! The Alclad ar not bad to use at all. On the shinny finishes, you just want to make sure you have a nice black gloss coat down first..I have used both the Alclad Bas Black and commercial rattle can off the shelf...same result. The cover coats, like the blue you suggest, go right over in a thin misting coat...1 to what ever you desire for the finish.

Per Alclad instuction, turn the psi down to 12 or so, just stay below 15. Don't try to full coat this stuff. On the shinny stuff, one quick extremely light pass over everything with the tip about 2 inches off and then stop for about 10 minutes or so. Then a second light coat. See what it looks like, cause you might be done. You can do 1 or 2 more if you like, but the thicker it goes down the cloudier it will appear. The color like the burnt blue of violet and what not mist right over.

Make sure you seal your work. Alclad clear works well and is suggested, but I use Future to coat it and it works excellent. ;)

Practice first, like you said, and you can't go wrong!! ;D

Will do. thanks for the tips :)

By the way, you don't happen to know if there is any practical difference in their regular clear gloss coat and the aqua clear gloss ?

Not a 100% without re-reading the Alclad site directions again - http://alclad2.com/how-to/ But I believe the Aqua Clear is water based and the standard clear is a Lacquer. Nothing wrong with going over a water based with a lacquer or vice-versa. As long as they are dry you should be good to go! Best check with the website to be sure. I remeber something about that finish was for the Prismic paint, not that that shoulfd make a difference!!

Good luck! ;)

I've seen their directions in the web site but it's not very clear. Some people say the regular clear is actually enamel. Anyway I found who did aqua clear over alclad chrome with good effect so I'll try that first and see if it works . If it doesn't it's probably still a good pre thinned gloss :)

Sounds good! Future Clear is an acrylic and does not react with the lacquer. Tamiya and Vallejo are water based acrylics and work well as a gloss coat. I would steer clear of the emamel base items. I didn't seal Alclad Chrome once and hit it wil some AK streaking grime and the finish turned completely black. One it was coated with something like an acrylic everything worked great!!!

The aqua clear I think is water based. I have used it quite a bit. It does go over their Chrome and other metal paints just fine. But don't use it as a barrier between your black coat and a shiny chrome coat. It will fog the chrome.

Thanks Grendels something to avoid :)

I was planing on testing black coat -> chrome -> clear blue -> aqua gloss -> eventually water slides with another clear on top

The bit I'm not sure about is the blue on top of chrome. some people say it's fine some that isn't, so I'll use some extra plastic to see what comes off of it.

I've been a little off the forum due to other stuff going through my mind but this guy hasn't been completely still, though the progress has been a little slower than I had planned.

Anyway, as of now I have cut all the parts and test fitted everything.

Some examples :

20120908_delta-plus-mg_0001.jpg

20120915_delta-plus-mg_0002.jpg

20120920_delta-plus-mg_0001.jpg

The transformation does make the inner frame a bit more complex than usual, but nothing that can't be managed easily.

Since then I've also primed and painted the inner frame using a custom mixed Mr Surfacer with Mr Color Black and alclads on top. The pistons on the legs are painted Titanium Gold and Chrome and top coated with aqua gloss. Can't be seen too clearly in the next picture but I'll take some nice detail shots later on.

20121014_delta-plus-mg_0002.jpg

And right now I'm going to glue the seam in the gun and sand some more of the armour pieces before priming those.

Thanks for watching 8)

Working on cleaning the armour. Lots of nubs to sand on around 100 parts, so its taking a while. Hope to have it painted by the weekend.

Thanks Grendels :)

Did a few tests and decided to tweak the colours a bit. It will be a silver successor to the golden hyaku shiki.

20121028_delta-plus-mg_0001.jpg

20121028_delta-plus-mg_0002.jpg

Almost done.

Latest posts

Back