Metallics?

EZoolander

Hello! I'm glad to be here! This is my first post to the forum.

I've been getting back into modeling as a hobby over the past couple of years, and have really been enjoying it (as an adult)! Most of the models that I've been building have been flat or semigloss solid colors. I recently, however, have started to work on a few Moebius Battlestar Galactica models. I'm currently finishing off the Pegasus, but I next want to get the Galactica.

When I started the Pegasus, I saw some good review on Model Masters Metalizers - and I bought a couple of bottles of the steel non-buff. It's my first time painting with Lacquers. I love this paint - with how it lays down, how it dries quickly, etc. BUT - Model Masters is no longer in business and it costs more than I want to spend to get them off Ebay.

I've got enough to finish off this model, but I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives that are still in production. What metallic paints have you had good experience with? Here are a couple of pictures of the Pegasus I'm working on.

PXL_20240525_134545509.MP.jpgPXL_20240525_134556570.jpg

I've been getting back into modeling as a hobby over the past couple of years, and have really been enjoying it (as an adult)! Most of the models that I've been building have been flat or semigloss solid colors. I recently, however, have started to work on a few Moebius Battlestar Galactica models. I'm currently finishing off the Pegasus, but I next want to get the Galactica.

When I started the Pegasus, I saw some good review on Model Masters Metalizers - and I bought a couple of bottles of the steel non-buff. It's my first time painting with Lacquers. I love this paint - with how it lays down, how it dries quickly, etc. BUT - Model Masters is no longer in business and it costs more than I want to spend to get them off Ebay.

I've got enough to finish off this model, but I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives that are still in production. What metallic paints have you had good experience with? Here are a couple of pictures of the Pegasus I'm working on.

View attachment 117643View attachment 117644
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

There are numerous metallics out there. Gunze/Mr. Color, AK Interactive, Vallejo, Alclad.

I have 2 bottles of Testors Metalizer colors left:

Non-Buff Aluminum
Dark Adonic Grey

I love Model Master paints but was sad and disappointed Rustoleum made the decision to stop production of Model Master line. They claim no one uses them anymore or not profitable for their needs. BULL$H!T!!!!

I have Mr. Color Super Duraluminum Metallic Colors and like them a lot.

Thank you! No, I haven't heard of them. I was just looking at some of the sample pictures from the website, and they look really good! Have you had a good experience with them?
For some reason your reply above just showed up on my end .
Yes , great product .
definitely check them out .

I just ordered an AK paint set of WWII USAAF colors. We’ll see how they work compared to the Vallejo paints I have.

Yeah, it was weird. That post sat in some limbo state for quite some time awaiting approval.
It's weirdly inconsistent too .
Infrequent and random .
On a few occasions , a new member's post would initially appear but then disappear .
I have no idea how management has the system set up .

Glad you like that Alclad .
It airbrushes wonderfully . Great stuff .

View attachment 117643View attachment 117644
absolutely love your BattleStar!

I'm working on mine as well. I went with Vallejo Model Air Gun Metal for the base coat.

Latest posts

Back