Metallics with non-metallics.

unttld

Mechanical
Note: My intention is not to say that someone who paints metal with non-metals is an idiot or has no skills or just troll the community in any way.

I'm not a fan of non-metallic metallics. I've never seen one treatment that reflects the complexity of what is happening on a reflective surface. Yes, you could add a gloss varnish to add some reflections but that'll ruin the shading/highlighting that you've painted. But even the painted highlights/shadows that are generalizing some of what is happening in a reflection don't ever look right. And generally the light the object is displayed in or photographed in is not in the correct position that the metallic should be reflecting. Light hitting reflective surfaces is a very complex system to understand.

I don't get why people just don't use metallics. They're very high quality. They're metallic so the light reacts the way it should normally react. You can gloss it for extra shininess. You can matte coat it to get an unpolished look. You can still shade/highlight by using a variety of colour mixes.

It confuses me even more that the wargaming crowd use metallics less than the hobby/model builder crowd. If getting an army up and going really fast is more important than having a painstakingly perfectly painted award winning figure metallics gets you super far with very little work.

I'd love to see some stellar examples of metal done with non-metallics. I'd also love to hear what you guys think.

Again, not detracting from the technical skills of painters, just curious about the aesthetic. Also not saying my way is correct and that you're wrong. It's just my preference.

Latest posts

Back