merseajohn's Tamiya BSA M20 Motorcycle

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Hey guys, thought I'd jump on board with the group build! Iv got several pictures of my grandfather in the war. He was a remarkable chap and was involved in many areas of the army. But I want to concentrate on his time when he was a 'dispatch' ( I think thats right) rider in France. Here are the photo's I have of him:
31e3b890.jpg
6339e3af.jpg
b47b5a80.jpg
This picture is the one I want to replicate. It has this on the back:
8000f138.jpg
A message to my grandmother then 'somewhere in france' 12/11/39 and the letters on the fuel tank are 'c47377'
I've ordered this kit from my local hobby shop. Hope it will suffice??
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=35316
If anyone could give me anymore info colours/parts to add/remove etc that would be great. Also I wouldnt mind putting the bike on a cobbled street like in the photo (and maybe add part of the house in the background?). But because I'm mainly a sci fi guy I dont know where to go to get such things. I read theres photo etch upgrades for the bike wheels etc???
Thanks guys
John

JOHN ,

Hey Brotha' long time no see !! Cool kit .I'm glad you decided to jump in on th build !! I didn't even now that Tamiya had come out with this !

I can't give ya too much help on th ins & outs of this BSA , perhaps some of th Allied builders can , but as far as a Cobble Stone road base ... Great North Roads in over there on th Isle . They have some Fantastic stuff !!

http://www.greatnorthroads.co.uk/roads/index.php

There's also these Guys in California. Kan Cali they sell rolled Latex Cobble Stone roads . It's a 12"x 15" sheet. I've got some of this & it's Awesome to work with. Th best part is it weighs nothing !!

http://www.kancali.com/militarymodelinghome.html

I'm lookin forward to this build !!

\m/

Hey Eric! I've been lurking over in sci Fi mate waiting for your black falcon lol! Thanks for the links, I think I'm going to pick up that road surface over on the kancali website, looks awesome. Silly question... Does it come pre painted? If not what paints could you use or does it not matter?

merseajohn said:
Hey Eric! I've been lurking over in sci Fi mate waiting for your black falcon lol! Thanks for the links, I think I'm going to pick up that road surface over on the kancali website, looks awesome. Silly question... Does it come pre painted? If not what paints could you use or does it not matter?

Oh yeah ... Th Black Falcon .... that's next on th docket ... I really hope I can finish Her on time !

Good choice on th KanCali stuff ! Th only paint they recommend is anything thats Acryllic ! Anything else will burn through th Latex ( enamels , & Lacquers - Bad ... very Bad !) ! They don't come pre painted. I dry brushed Mine. Both the Bricks & the Cobble Stone roads when I got them were molded in Grey , so all I did was to dry brush a couple of different Greys & a very light grey as th High-High light. AS far as gluing it donw to the surface - They suggest White Glue ::) I tried that & it never set up ! So I went to th Fabric store & asked one of the Hotties there What I could use to Glue Latex to wood with ( Oh Dude th look on her face was priceless) , but it was a type of Rubber cement ... Th name escapes me. But you wanna be careful with what you get to glue it down & you want something that's super Tacky. When you go in there ( th fabric store) just make sure that you tell them that it's Latex ... take it with you so they can see what it is.

Oh ... When I got it down on th base I washed in an Acrylic mix of Black/Brown & let it cure for a few days ... them dry brushed with th different shades of Grey. Now I guess you could go with those Brown/Sandstone tones ... but I've never seen a European Road with Tan Cobbles, not sayin' They don't exist .. I've just never seen a color picture from WW II of that color ???

On th BSR , I found this over on Missing Lynx - just type in British BSR bikes , you get 5 pages of stuff !!

- http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/search - I'm not sure why th entire link doesn't transfer ??

\m/

Thanks for the heads up Eric! 'you should of seen her face' lol! Ha cheers mate ganna have a look through that link now. Really looking forward to this now, just gotta wait for the LHS to put the order in, they won't order just that kit on its own because it's too small ::) Now just gotta find some photo etch wheels that would fit??? The spokes look way to thick.

Hey guys, the LHS rang today saying that my kit was in, and I've ordered the PE so it should be under way soon. Here's the box and the sprue's (dont get to excited it's pretty small, but I'm still looking forward to building this little thing!):
89e04b23.jpg
f5b6428d.jpg
ffaa0fe0.jpg
I may start on the rider tonight seeing as theres no PE involved, any hints, tips or guide's you guys know of on the net on how to paint 1/35 figures would be greatly appreciated!
:)

Ok so here's my first attempt (only realised I had 1/35 figures that have helmets....I need a head with a cap?) its ok I suppose but practice makes perfect. I'll try a few more and see how I get on. I'm using citadel/games workshop paints by the way.
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg

That actually looks like a nice little kit . Great start on the face too ;)

Chris.

Thanks mate, so update time! Got my rider almost done (just need to add the front pack and backpack with helmet) the arms are done but not shown. Still waiting for the photoetch ::) so no start on the bike yet. I've been using Vallejo's FLAMES OF WAR British early war paint set, which is great because it contains all the colours I need. I've also used Vallejo's 341,342 and 846 for the face, oh and some aves for his hat. And the fleshtone wash & sepia wash. Ok so here's our hell's angel lol! ;D
IMG_1301.jpg

Thanks Spud, it's my first 1/35 figure so this area is a little new to me but I'm realy enjoying it. I keep looking at the 1/35 figure videos and some of the artwork is just mind blowing!

Latest posts

Back