Merseajohn's 1/48 P51 d mustang Tuskegee Airmen version

nicholassagan said:
Well, it looks good. How big is this in 1/48? Your great, detailed photos betray the actual size of it... :D
Very true.

MJ this is coming along fast and dare I say it.....clean! That pre-shading does wonders under the shiny stuff. Wow. And that is one red tail to boot. Fantastic work.

Well, I have nothing nice to say about this build!!!

That's only cause everything I wanted to say was taken...

Although, you do have an Extremly Wicked Narley Radical bird there!!!!

Can't wait to see more!

Still looking Super Wicked MJ!!! Those panel lines look great!!! She's a beauty!!!

Thanks so much guys, this certainly is enjoyable. It's strange going from a massive resin kit with no instructions to a lovely little styrene kit. Anyway got the remaining colours on:
IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
Next up is the decals, which is going to be tricky as the olive drab on the hood and the 'red tail' is matt. And ofcourse I want to get a nice coat of Klear/Future on there so the decals sit nicely but I'll have to mask of the those area's so they stay matt. ???...it will be a little tricky.
Hope you like it,
MJ

MJ,

You might try to future the whole bird now, decals, future again. Then mask off the aluminum and lay the flat/matt clear coat over the OD and red. It might be easier that way.

Others who have more experience may have better advice tho.

Wow, I blink my eyes and you almost have a second build done. The preshanding is killer on her as well!

Cheers guys, yeah I've glossed the whole thing. Putting decals on now, I'll mask off the Matt areas and give them a Matt coat at the end.

Fantastic work once again, you are definitely gifted, makes me want to get back to aircraft modelling now!!

J

Jaitea said:
Fantastic work once again, you are definitely gifted, makes me want to get back to aircraft modelling now!!

J

Thanks Jaitea thats a lovely comment.
So Ive got the decals all on and glossed over (since these pics have been taken Ive carefully gone in and scored the panel lines of the decals with a tooth pic. None have broken luckily but it is a risky thing to do and i would only suggest it if the microsol hasnt done it's job!).
IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2461.jpg

Next the weathering!!!!!!! ;D
MJ

[attachment deleted by admin]

:eek:
Seriously mj, anybody would think that youve been building planes for years. The paintwork looks wicked.

Obviously what experience you gained in scifi translates to aircraft.

Superb job mate, doesnt even look like it needs weathering with the pre shade youve done

Corr !!! yer dragging this out a bit aint ya ::) ;D . Fantastic work John ,I knew you'd have no bother doing a wingy thing ;) The finish is ....well ...WOW :eek: Stunning work mate ...Stunning .
I normally run a fresh blade through the decs over panel lines ,then sol the edges again ;)

Chris.

AWESOME work!
I mentioned that I worked on one of these also..and for the same reason. I saw Red Tails and had to score a kit. This is the Pegasus beginner series snap together kit. This is the first actual aircraft model that I have attempted since I was 12.

Anyway, another great build but I just wanted to share one of my pics. I think your work is far superior to mine but again I wish you plenty of luck in this contest.
2012-05-16192719.jpg

What gorgeous work MJ. I'll simply ditto everybody else's sentiments. Keep it up son, you might get pretty good at this one day.

ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
AWESOME work!
I mentioned that I worked on one of these also..and for the same reason. I saw Red Tails and had to score a kit. This is the Pegasus beginner series snap together kit. This is the first actual aircraft model that I have attempted since I was 12.

Anyway, another great build but I just wanted to share one of my pics. I think your work is far superior to mine but again I wish you plenty of luck in this contest.

Great stuff there SSS! Thanks for sharing.

Glorfindel said:
What gorgeous work MJ. I'll simply ditto everybody else's sentiments. Keep it up son, you might get pretty good at this one day.

Thanks Glorfindel, but I think you may have spoke to soon............

adampolo13 said:
SPEACHLESS....

Cheers mate!

So I masked off pretty much the whole plane with Tamiya masking tape to spray the green hood and tail back to matt, and when dry removed the masks to find this.....
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
Its a real shame, because I had layed down quite a bit of weathering over the decals (oils and Ak Streaking grime). I thought I had enough klear gloss down over the decals to keep them safe but nope ripped right off! So I got straight back to the decal sheet and luckily it comes with 3 versions on it so I've chose another version which luckily has the same paint scheme. Ive had to order a new set of decals with the american signs on. Anyway its only slowed down the progress a little. At least now I can work on the prop and wheels etc.
MJ

D'YAHHHHHHHHH!
I hate it when this happens. Typically, I throw it to the ground and stomp on it after this has happened to me, and I know hindsight is always 20/20, but a tip I learned was to use post it notes over decals so this doesn't happen.
Sorry to see this happen to such a beauty of a model. It is still a great piece of work on your part. Slight delay, but I bet this will still look like a winner when you're done.

Latest posts

Back