Merkava MK II: Getting my feet wet!!

TRM

Hello all,

As the title suggests, "getting my feet wet", I am coming out of the gate building my 1st Modern IDF!! So, please be gentle!!! LOL!!! I will of course I will have to rely on what I see in pictures and some friends in the world of IDF.

In all all seriousness, this is a new path for me and I am willing to take on the challenge and learn what I can from you guys that are more versed in the modern world, along the way. I was going to wait on the construction of this, but could not control myself last night and started to clean and add some suspension parts.

For now, this is what I am working with.....

146-1.jpg

This is my kit. Not sure how old this is, but assuming a couple years anyway. I could not pass up this, as with everything seen her in the picture was $40USD at the last AMPS show I attended.

158.jpg

Eduard PE

152.jpg

Cast resin wheels

154.jpg

Fruils...of course I spent some time a couple weeks back assembling 80% of both tracks to not be bogged down in the build with this. I stopped well before the amount needed to complete these....was unclear on the amount of links needed yet!

159.jpg

And of course this had a separate cast turret which, as you can see, has a tremendous amount of more detail added. From what I gathered already from some helpful folks, that this resin turret looks to be a MK II 2B conversion.

150.jpg

I have plans on purchasing an IDF Merkava MKII Turret Basket and Ball Armor set....thinking one from Legend for the moment, since the kit does not come with the ball armor that I wish to add....thes modern girls need their jewerly! Please, if there is another, better option I should be considering, speak up!!! LOL!!

What I guess I will try an accomplish will be to build her up and have a bunch of fun painting and weathering (which I love the most)...chipping, scratches, dirt dust and so on. Like I said, I don't know S**T about these things but willing to learn.

Here is where I stand at the moment....

I managed to get the suspension figured out along with filling some sinky things along the way. One of the bigger ones you can see here on the front lower plate. The hull identification numbers are placed here. The part given was thick and fit not so good in the hole. I filled the hole and have thinned the number plate down and will glue this on later!

Merkava2006.jpg

I was just about to add the rear plate and I found some things that needed some attention. The worst of which was the flaps on the fenders. The one on the right, I began to replace with some brass shim stock. These are rubbery and grey/black when painted, but, if you look at the one on the right, it's not hare to see why I had to chop.

Merkava2010.jpg

Also, I chose to fill in the pre-molded hole for the handle placement. After looking at the pieces I added the clean up factor, due to the mold seams with the chunkiness of the parts and I will replace these with some wire stock.

More to come soon. Tomorrow I am off to IMPS BayCon Show here in MA. and will be hanging with some good friends talking shop!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

hmm this might convince me to finish my Merkava I! i will be following this one for sure!

LOL...Glad to have you along MJ!!! Need to step up my game a bit with the amount you have been pumping out!!! ;D

Thanks Chris!!! All in good fun ey? BTW, you going to BayCon? Hope to see you there!!

Hi Ya Andrei!! Thanks for joining in!! I would say dust that puppy off and let's get busy!!! ;D ;D

Thank you Aaron! I certainly hope so!! ::) Still a ways to go, but should be fun! ;D

T, this is gonna be an awesome build so many goodies to throw on this build it should build into a lovely model :)

Thank you both for the encouragement! Almost wish I wasn not going to the show today, so I could stay home and work on it.....OK I lied...show first then build!!! ;D

Heya Beo...thanks and thanks for swinging by!! ;)

Hey Adam!! LOL...wow, a little down time after the drive!!! A little work on this and a little on the ship!!! Busy busy busy!!! ;D

Haha, ya. The drive wasn't too bad. Although I got home and the wife wanted some family time. No buidling for me last night. The nice thing though was that even though she did catch me sneaking my new A-10 into the stash she didn't get too mad.

I forgot to ask, your not going to blow this one up or rust it out are you? No barrels in the sand right? ;)

LOL..there is an awesome pic on the in-ter-web with a Merk..the whole thing, standing up straight on it's nose!!! Barrel buried in the street!! LOL! Nice stuff!!

Getting caught still, ey? Like I said....lesson one - Thinking on your feet: When arriving with a kit of foreign nature after a show....first....blame Ken. "Oh I got to me Ken today hon, he actually gave me a kit he had and told me to have at it!! After you have some practice at this, try the "well, you knew there was an entry to get it right, I didn;t realize they gave me 5 raffle ticket too!! Amazing I was just about to leave and they called one of my numbers!! Gotta love free-bees!!!" Next lesson my young padawon will be ordering online, shipping to work and hiding the stash in the trunk!!! ;D

As long as my car never looks like that car from Maine I think I can get away with that one. ;) Haha

Can't wait to see the Merk take gold at the next show!

LOL...not to sure about gold, but it will be fun building!!!

"car from Maine".....yah, that is a whole other thing there!!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back