Merkava II

Beobachtungsbereich

Prep for STAB....STAB ON!
So the next project is underway. Yes, I understand that I have three on the go. ;D

Going to do up Academy Minicraft's Merkava II. Got it a long time ago and never had the chance to build it.

I was a bit too busy right after 9/11 and put it away in the closet. Now that I have a bit more time on my hands and I'm getting my skills back up to par for the big project...this one is getting done.

Haven't gotten too far other than getting it together and ready for paint. The most I may add is the RPG chains to the rear of the turret, but that's about it.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

I'm looking to possibly do the salt technique on this one. I just have to look at lots of videos on the in's and out's prior to getting the nerves to do it up.

As always, tips and tricks are welcome!

TANKS for looking!

Cool tank. Don't stress over the salt technique. It's fairly simple and you can't really mess it up.

Paint base color that will be revealed under the chips.
If acrylic seal it with clear, or matte etc..
Brush water onto model to moisten it
Sprinkle sea salt on area where you want to chip paint
Let dry a bit
Gently airbrush top color
Once dry use a stiff brush to rub/scrub off the salt revealing the 'chip'

Try it out on a piece of scrap first and go for it. It's not beyond you man. Not at all.

Thanks all. Much appreciate the tips Scott!

So tonight was just priming. Vallejo OD green.

IMG_0281.jpg

Next step will be putting on the "primer" and steel in strategic places and doing some salt. That may have to wait until the weekend though. Going to be busy around the house for a couple of days.

Any idea what the primer colour is on a Merkava? I did a huge search and came up with nothing.

May go with a dark red, but I want to do it right.

Thoughts?

Looking sweet Beo!!! Paint to Boot!! ;D Keep it rolling!!!! ;D

:mad: I hate it !

LOL no ! just kidding !

Nice to see you take the plunge ! it is a nice kit... except I heard the track don't match the MkII ? not sure why but since its not my Cup of tea ! I won't push the issue !

one question though !!! the Rear basket ! behind the turret ! the slats are looking big ??? is that to defeat the RPG's as well ?? like an earlier version of Slat Armor ??? or is it just molded that way ???

I know about the balls and Chains underneat it but always wondered if Academy had screwed it up or if it is that Big in real life ???

take care !

Norm.

Thanks....

I always like the Old Merk ! The New ones are cool but, lost that Unique Look !!!

Good luck with it.... so far it looks mighty nice.....

Keep up the good work !

Norm.

out !

So, Vallejo's red primer and bare steel shot on and sea salt and table salt applied with water and a touch of hairspray and left to dry overnight.

Shot Russian WW2 green base coat and Khaki top coat started to be applied. I had to be careful on putting on the initial paint, salt was going everywhere! I had to "fog" it on until the salt was holding in place and then started to apply a good coat of each.

Top coat only being applied to major panels and high wear areas. Staying away from seams starts to give it shadow and depth.

I know what some of you are saying right now "But it's green!" or like Scott said the other day in his shop "Never seen a green Merkava before!"

Trust me, I've used this method and colour combination before and I had the same hesitations.

It will blend with the darker base coat and will come out Israeli sand colour in the end with clearly defined panels and high wear areas even before I get to washes and dry brushing. I still have more top coat to apply to the turret and I haven't even touched the hull yet.

Once the top coat is done and I'm happy with it, the salt will come off revealing (hopefully) chipped paint to varying degrees, from to the primer to bare steel.

If I don't like it...I'll just spray the top coat on over the chips.

IMG_0292.jpg

As always, tips and tricks and constructive criticism are always welcomed.

TANKS for looking!

Latest posts

Back