Mecha Entries and Discussions

J

Jingles

Hi all,

This group build will cover any mecha model kit.

Ok, so let's define the rules of this GB and go into some details

Schedule:
This Group Build will start on Wednesday the 1st of September, 2010 (EST).
This Group Build will finish on Tuesday the 30th of November, 2010 (EST). This gives you 3 months.
Note: There may be a one month extension if over half of the entrants have difficulties completing their models within the given deadlines. This will extend the finish date to Friday the 31st of December, 2010 (EST). This is an emergency extension only!

Feel free to use this thread for build discussions and reference material until then. I’ll clean it up when necessary to ensure it presents only the information we need.

Prizes:
Probably none, but I might see what I can dig out of my stash to send to the builder whose model I think deserves it. All entrants are free to do the same if they want to.

Rules & Details:
* Any available scale is permitted.
* The finished model may be included in a diorama which may feature additional models.
* Build as many kits as you like.
* Conversions, aftermarket parts and decals and scratch building are all permitted.
* Kits entered MUST be in unstarted condition.

Posting Rules:
Post any questions about your entry, questions pertaining to your subject or any questions about the group build in this topic up to and after the GB start date.

Entry Post:
Reply to this topic with what you will be doing for this group build. You can accompany the reply with a photo of the model box if you like.

Work in Progress:
Start a new topic in this part of the forum for your "Work in Progress" thread so you can post updates of your build and others can make comments. Your first post must include box art photos of your kit along with sprue photos (random materials or design roughs if scratch building). Your first post must also contain some proof of date and the unstarted nature of your kit.

Reveal Post:
When you have completed your build, post a new Topic in the "Let's Build Something! - You're so spaced out! - Mecha Hanger" section using [Mecha GB] to begin your topic and follow it with a description of your build (e.g. "[Mecha GB] Roy Fokker Valkyrie 1/72").

Above all, as DreamKnight says, HAVE FUN!

Enjoy!

Jingles.

Whoa! Madcat? No no no... I'm sticking to the VF-1S still. lol The Madcat I have lots of plans for it so I'm not ready for it yet. I sticking lighting and some mechnical stuff to make the head move and stuff, replace the the windows, construct a cockpit... etc. so I still have to do a lot of research and stuff for it.

DreamKnight said:
I sticking lighting and some mechnical stuff to make the head move and stuff, replace the the windows, construct a cockpit... etc. so I still have to do a lot of research and stuff for it.

Eek! 3 (4) months won't be long enough for that!

Be carefull removing the windows. Vinyl is very flexible at the best of times and without the window support the frames may start to buckle in a warm environment. Maybe thin brass strips for bracing or a framed cockpit that could be slid in to support the structure would be a good idea.

Jingles.

Jingles said:
Eek! 3 (4) months won't be long enough for that!

Be carefull removing the windows. Vinyl is very flexible at the best of times and without the window support the frames may start to buckle in a warm environment. Maybe thin brass strips for bracing or a framed cockpit that could be slid in to support the structure would be a good idea.

Jingles.

Haha you DO have the kit. :) Yeh. We're on the same wavelength here. I was looking at that and thinking about using something to brace the frame work.

DreamKnight said:
Haha you DO have the kit.

Oh yes!

Y'know, if may not be that difficult to get it built up and painted in 3 (4) months... Not with the mods you have in mind but just to an OOB level... With lights...

Hmmm...

Jingles.

I remember these posters! lol They used to make them for their popular mechs. I used to have a Battlemaster one.

Woo hoo, got me a good reason to start in on the small pile of Votoms, lurking in the corner of my den. Ace. Been eying them for ages and got no excuse to not do one or two of them now.

I've got 6 1/35 Takaras and a Sunrise 1/24 sitting there staring at me. Also a couple of the smaller scale Arctic Gear ones too. One of the guys over on the Ma.K forum had a giveaway a while back and my name came out of the hat first. Never been so lucky before - and have since been feeling guilty that I haven't done one yet.

Think I'll do the 1/24 Scopedog for the comp'; try for a dio to go with it as well.

Since the title of this was changed to mecha, I'm likely to switch over to a VF-1 Super Valkyrie, or, as I prefer it, a PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk

I cant stop scratch building stuff lately,can we make a scratch built mecha of our own design.
If no, i'll still join in,mecha rules

So, ladies and gentlemen, there are now less than 3 days to go until the official start of this unofficial GB so there's just time to order a kit if you haven't already got one lined up... Although you could start building after the official start time I suppose... It's up to you.

Just a reminder that we are using one time zone for the GB, and that time zone is Eastern Standard Time (which at the moment is affected by daylight savings time... which is all very confusing). :-\

If in doubt, this website shows you what EST is at any given moment and will be a good site to use for a backdrop when you take a picture of your unstarted kit, etc.

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

As for me, I have decided to go with the Patlabor AV-98 Ingram painted as a part of Japan's SAT (Special Assault Team) in blacks, blues and grays.

Jingles.

Mecha Entries and Discussions is now open!

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!... Or at least start whatever passes for an engine on your chosen mecha... ;D

This build is a go. Post your topics at will and enjoy!

Jingles.

Yeah i've been so busy lately too,havent had much time to go on the forums either,wont be able to start mine for at least another two weeks.

Sorry. :-[

I am with the others, I have a couple of projects to finish up first. But I do have a model to enter.

Know that feeling all too well.
I have a decal job on a 1/1000 Enterprise A to finish before I can get started

A quick question: I do have a kit to enter, but I want to build a diorama. Do I have to have a photo of everything in the dio or just the kits? I don't know what the dio will look like or what I will include at the moment, I would like to build the kits and then figure out the dio.

Grendels said:
Do I have to have a photo of everything in the dio or just the kits?

Just a photo of the primary element(s) of the diorama will be fine. In this case that means the kit(s).

When you've decided on the diorama's components you can take additional pictures as part of you WIP.

Jingles.

Thanks for the info, I will get the photos posted as soon as I finish up the Thunderchild....She just needs decals and a stand.

Latest posts

Back