Matchstick Fleet

Elm City Hobbies

Got this sent to me the other day....some of you have probably already seen it, but I thought it was worth posting here.

79-year-old Phil Warren from the UK spent 62 years to build this incredible fleet of 432 ships and 1200 aircraft, all built entirely of matchsticks and their wooden boxes. The collection includes 370 U.S. and 60 British ships and their associated aircraft...

Now 79 years of age, he began creating his first boat in 1948 when he was 17. He uses a razor blade, tweezers, sandpaper and glue. He has used more than 650,000 matchsticks to create this amazing collection of 1:300 scale models...

Ships001-vi.jpg

Ships002-vi.jpg

Ships003-vi.jpg

Ships004-vi.jpg

Ships005-vi.jpg

Ships006-vi.jpg

Ships007-vi.jpg

Ships008-vi.jpg

Ships009-vi.jpg

Ships010-vi.jpg

Ships011-vi.jpg

Ships012-vi.jpg

Ships013-vi.jpg

Ships014-vi.jpg

Ships015-vi.jpg

Ships016-vi.jpg

Ships017-vi.jpg

Ships018-vi.jpg

Ships019-vi.jpg

Ships020-vi.jpg

Phil Warren is a legend!

Having said that, there is another modeler who should be noted alongside Phil. Erick Navas claims to have broken Phil's record, but you decide (Erick's don't appear to be matchstick) ) But anyway...here's a post of Erick's I saved:

Erick Navas said:
Hi my friends!

I´m very happy because my collection reaches the 440 modelships!...

The previous record had Phillip Warren of England with 432 ships made ​​with stick matches... Mr. Warren was an inspiration for me because he past 65 years building good looking modelships...

Well, in 13 years building ships now I have 440... and 200 more in boxes...

I want to share to you pics of my collection and my latest works:

micoleccion1.jpg

micoleccion7.jpg

dkmtirpitz1.jpg

plawuhan1.jpg

ussarizona1.jpg

His blog is at: http://www.ericknavas.blogspot.com/

Where these guys find the time, I have no idea....amazing stuff though!

I have seen Phil's collection before ,but not Erick's I think they are both incredible feats and what I would consider 'real' modelling ,starting with lumps of wood and turning them into a scale replica !!! fantastic :)

Chris.

:eek: my jaw cant fall far enough that is pure craftmanship

That is an outstanding feet!!! :eek: What a great legacy!!! ;) Thanks for sharing Scott!!! ;D

I've never seen either of these. Thanks for sharing both.
I wonder what those collections are valued and insured at.

Latest posts

Back