Matchbox 1/72 Mosquito Mk.XXX RAAF 456SQN

cobraleader

G'Day All,

Continuing my theme build of 100 year anniversary of the Royal Australian Airforce - plus i'm waiting for decals for the other 3 kits i've got on the go.

This is the Matchbox Mk.IX/NF.30 kit. Already spent a few days working on it.
Assembled and painted the cockpit, assembled major components - wings, undercarriage and masked the canopy.
Join lines vary in size, some close up nicely, others leave large gaps in the joints.

I was hoping for some DKDecals (de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito in RAAF Service) to use on this kit, however they are out of stock and out of production, so have to use spares that I have lying around to make up the markings.
This kit will be marked as Mk.XXX, NT2641G, RX-R, No.456 Sqn, RAF Bradwell Bay, 1945.

35SOA1j.jpg
PODkA7s.jpg
lpAhzJu.jpg
3nXUajE.jpg
PA9CFLs.jpg
lgv0i99.jpg
jweXzUx.jpg

G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production.

Finally put down some paint. Paint Scheme is British European Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. Ended up using Gunze H335 Ocean Grey and H309 Dark Green
Painted the model and blew up some profile pics to make paper masks to paint the top side color.

AvpI4rs.jpg

wwwhWEz.jpg

6bJWIhq.jpg

Started sealing the finished paint work with Humbrol Gloss varnish, however it started reacting the the underlying paint (same problem when using Humbrol Satin and Matte varnish as well). Ended up with cracks over the wings. I don't know what i'm doing wrong - this has happened on several other models and even over Humbrol Enamels. Instead of stripping and redoing the paint, I decided to go back to the good ol' trusted Gunze and Tamiya clear coats. I found that it covered the cracks.

G'Day All,

Rushed the finish on this one. While taking photo's, I realised there was a problem with the main landing gear - oh well, ya get that.

I thought a Mosquito would be less weathered than other fighter aircraft. Being a wooden wonder, it would be hard to have alot of chipping present.
So the weathering was kept to a minimum. Manly on the propellers and fuselage nose.
Finished minor paint details and added it the the last group of built aircraft.

UAiQd1P.jpg
iydz34H.jpg
rft5Ted.jpg
mbcnlY0.jpg
6bnfvn4.jpg
GlZnYA6.jpg
TAxbvCk.jpg

Nice work. About that cracking, the only thing I can think of is perhaps your paint didn't cure long enough. Nice that the other clear coat covered it up.

Latest posts

Back