Matchbox 1/72 Mosquito Mk.XXX RAAF 456SQN

cobraleader

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
354
G'Day All,

Continuing my theme build of 100 year anniversary of the Royal Australian Airforce - plus i'm waiting for decals for the other 3 kits i've got on the go.

This is the Matchbox Mk.IX/NF.30 kit. Already spent a few days working on it.
Assembled and painted the cockpit, assembled major components - wings, undercarriage and masked the canopy.
Join lines vary in size, some close up nicely, others leave large gaps in the joints.

I was hoping for some DKDecals (de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito in RAAF Service) to use on this kit, however they are out of stock and out of production, so have to use spares that I have lying around to make up the markings.
This kit will be marked as Mk.XXX, NT2641G, RX-R, No.456 Sqn, RAF Bradwell Bay, 1945.

35SOA1j.jpg

PODkA7s.jpg

lpAhzJu.jpg

3nXUajE.jpg

PA9CFLs.jpg

lgv0i99.jpg

jweXzUx.jpg
 

cobraleader

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
354
G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production.

Finally put down some paint. Paint Scheme is British European Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. Ended up using Gunze H335 Ocean Grey and H309 Dark Green
Painted the model and blew up some profile pics to make paper masks to paint the top side color.

AvpI4rs.jpg

wwwhWEz.jpg

6bJWIhq.jpg



Started sealing the finished paint work with Humbrol Gloss varnish, however it started reacting the the underlying paint (same problem when using Humbrol Satin and Matte varnish as well). Ended up with cracks over the wings. I don't know what i'm doing wrong - this has happened on several other models and even over Humbrol Enamels. Instead of stripping and redoing the paint, I decided to go back to the good ol' trusted Gunze and Tamiya clear coats. I found that it covered the cracks.
 

cobraleader

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
354
G'Day All,

Rushed the finish on this one. While taking photo's, I realised there was a problem with the main landing gear - oh well, ya get that.

I thought a Mosquito would be less weathered than other fighter aircraft. Being a wooden wonder, it would be hard to have alot of chipping present.
So the weathering was kept to a minimum. Manly on the propellers and fuselage nose.
Finished minor paint details and added it the the last group of built aircraft.

UAiQd1P.jpg

iydz34H.jpg

rft5Ted.jpg

mbcnlY0.jpg

6bnfvn4.jpg

GlZnYA6.jpg

TAxbvCk.jpg
 

Jim62

Active Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2020
Messages
139
Nice work. About that cracking, the only thing I can think of is perhaps your paint didn't cure long enough. Nice that the other clear coat covered it up.
 

Latest posts

Top