Masking Stencil Disc Camouflage DPC-35/ED-35 USCHI van der Rosten

panzerace007

Accessories Review

USCHI van der Rosten Masking Stencil Disc Camo Stencil, DPC-35 & ED-35 .mov

wwwuschivdr.jpg

Wake the kids & call the Neighbors! If you are a German Armor modeler here is something by Uschi van der Rosten that will make painting those late War Ambush Disc patterns a lot easier & less time consuming on your next German Panzer.

USCHI van der Rosten is a relatively new company. They specialize in Wood texture and effects decals, spraying masks and stencils for AFV/Airplane modelers as well as Their Track Burnishing fluid. Here for review is the Disc Camouflage stencils in 1/35th scale(DPC-35) and the Extra Discs(ED-35).

Uschi has recently partnered with AK Interactive and the set is also available as a Cobranded product by AK Interactive. Both have worked very closely to put this set together, as well as other Uschi products. Priced at 14,99€ from USCHI,and 15,95€ ($21.95 USD) from AK Interactive (U.S.A.), which includes one P.E. sheet. The set ED-35 is available through USCHI for 5,00€ it contains three strips essentially the reverse of the first sheet.These extra discs fro difficult spots are entirely consistent to the three different sizes of the “Discs” on the actual DPC-35 stencil.DPC stands for ‘Disc pattern camouflage and ED stands for “Extra Discs” The number 35 indicates the scale. Both products have also been recently issued in 1/48th scale. You can look for these as DPC-48 & ED-48

Unlike some of the other Dry Transfers & Decals, This Disc reusable stencil can be tailored to any color, tone or filter that you desire because, it is in the paint ! It also lends it’s self well to the “Hairspray”, “Chipping” & “Salt” weathering techniques. These stencils take all the tedious labor and prep work out and leave a professional and accurate finish.

DSC08688.jpg

Upon further review:
Opening the plastic zip-lock bag, you are greeted with a pamphlet with full color instructions printed on the inside & the disc stencils neatly tucked in the center. The instructions are an easy to follow, step by step
USCHIvanderRosteninsideInstructions.jpg

The sheet of reusable stencils measures 41/2” x 5 1/2”. They are cut into five strips ( 20 mm x 130 mm) and are the perfect fit for Panther Schuerzen as seen on (Befehls) Panther G - R-01for example. DPC-35 also allows you to finally fire up that Jagd-PanzerIV/L70 that has been in your stash, leaving you stumped how to apply the Disc camo. Come along and let Me show you how easy it is to apply the Disc camo.

disc1.jpg

P5_KGP_124_heimdal_copycopy.jpg

Applying the Camouflage:

Now this is where th fun begins!

DSC08691.jpg

Simply peel off the stencil. Double checking that all the shapes (bow ties) stay behind. As is customary with a new set of any stencil of this type. In case you think that you may have missed some of the cutouts, simply apply the mask to a piece of glass, or any glossy surface to make sure that the mask is clean & “weeded out”. Gently remove the mask from the glossy surface and see the reusability of this mask !

DSC08693.jpg

Apply the stencil to the area that you want the camouflage. Making sure that you have good adhesion between th stencil & model. Usually just passing your finger tip along the stencil will make it seat properly. You can use a small piece of low tack tape to protect from over spray.

DSC08694.jpg

Shoot it with a few light coats of your choice of Dunkelgelb. Let the paint set up for a couple of minutes and then you are ready to unveil you great looking Disc camo to the world.

DSC08696.jpg

131_001.jpg
P5_725_9pd_j_l_gantier_01.jpg

It really is that easy to render the Disc camo patterns seen in the late stages of the War. Seen on a wide variety of German Armor from August 1944 through to the surrender of 1945. Note : After you remove the stencil it is recommended that you place it onto the backing sheet to protect the reusable stencil from unwanted dust & dirt.
The set that you can get from AK Interactive also contains one brass P.E. sheet. They are designed to be used on large flat easy to reach surface.

DSC08692.jpg

DSC08697.jpg

sturmm-3.jpg

The third set ED-35, is cut in the reverse of set DPC-35. There are five strips on a 2 1/2” square sheet. For review purposes I’ve set it on the front Glacis plate in a field of Green & sprayed it in Dunkelgelb, I also added the P.E. stencil( of the AK version) in Green on the Red-Brown field.

Screenshot2012-01-23at84734PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-23at84352PM.png

DSC02234-1.jpg

A byproduct of the ED-35 set are the Discs that are cut out of the stencil. Once you peel the strips back, they are left behind. I took a few & decided to make a cloud pattern similar to the camo seen on some of the Skoda Hetzers & some Eastern Front Stug IV’s. I first sprayed a field in Green & Red-Brown, along the soft edge between the colors I placed the Discs, then shot the Dunkelgelb down, followed by placing the Disc camo stencil(DCS-35) down to get the rest of the pattern. You can also see in the picture, I placed some other discs in the center of the pattern to show the size of the discs.

sturmgeshIVambush.jpg

Screenshot2012-01-24at10506AM.png

Screenshot2012-01-24at11850AM.png

gardennes-16.jpg

DSC08699.jpg

Thoughts:
USCHI van der Rosten is a new company out of Germany. Recently coupling with AK Interactive to bring you, the modeler, a less labor intensive way to achieve an authentic German Ambush camo scheme. This scheme was seen on many German Panzers through out the battles of the Ardennes, the Bulge, & through to the end of the war on both fronts.

USCHI van der Rosten has a definite winner on Their hands. This stencil set really makes rendering these camo schemes attainable by every modeler, no matter the skill level. This is part of Uschi’s philosophy- “Making it fast & easy for every modeler”. This is true with every product they sell. In addition, they are fun. Over the course of this review the masks were put through their paces & were taken on & off again from the model and sheet five - six times. I can attest to the reusability. These Stencils can easily cross over to the Mecha. ( Ma.K , Gundam etc) modelers as well! Set your self apart from the rest of the Battalion! Grab a set of Uschi van der Rosten Disc Camouflage stencils for your Panzer Shop !

“That is all .... and Good night !”

A Must Have !

UschivanderRosten_brandnew.jpg

I would like to thank Uschi van der Rosten for this review sample.

*All Images used with Permission ... all rights reserved*

Panzerace007

Neat !

I like the *Thin* frisket idea! The end results looks really Sharp !
and I think its gonna be a welcome addition to our Arsenal ! Thanks to those guys for bring this to market!

I am not sold on the Photo Etch one looks a little Fussy ! maybe a little thick ? do you think ?
or was it done that way to get that kind of results ???

anyhow ! Thanks for the Review ! this is going to make life a whole lot easier for those of us looking for that LOOK ! on their big German Kats !

Later !

Erik this is Top notch Im in love!. does the sticky tsencil come with the pe version from AK? i can not wait to get my hands on some of it :)

Hey GUYS ,

I'm glad that you all Dig th review !!

@SCHWEINHUND - The P.E. stencils come in the AK Interactive set are good to use. Not too Fussy. The one thing to think about when using that one is .. If you use it by it's self you would want to mask off to prevent Overspray. It's Excellant to reach around places that the Stencil can't quite get to. You can lay it Flat on the Armor. You can also use it to get in between placed just for a Short Burst of the Camo, that maybe laying down the Stencil would make hard. Just bear in mind that you could get a little overspray.

The Masks are Ultra Thin & very resilient !! They last ! I only used One of the Strips fro the Review. Removing it from the Model 5-6 times it really stayed put. It's Resilient , but delicate enough not to leave any mess behind & it Plays well with P.E. !! You could even trim th Maks to fit around some of the Track Hangers etc !!

It's a Ton Easier ..... No more trying to figure out the Scale size of the pattern. No more Taping off stencils, cutting your own .. It's all Gone... Now all you have to do is lay th strip down & Shoot !!

@SPUD - Yes the P.E. Stencil is ONLY available from the AK Interactive set.

@ CARS & MJ - I'm glad that you Guys Dig it !!

Don't forget .... It's not just for ARMOR .... It can easily find a home in th Mecha/SCi-Fi world too !! Seein this Disc Camo on a Ma.K or Gundam type Figure would rock & really set your Kit apart from th Crowd !!

;D. Thank you Erik!

Good point about the Frisckets being useful on other kind of models! I dig the Ma.K hardware with some of that! Excellent suggestion !

I tell ya what ... A Biker Scout Himself would look pretty cool in that Ambush scheme as well !! ;D

Latest posts

Back