Markings on Stugs

sunsanvil

I'm a little confused when it comes to markings on Stugs.

Was the Shurzen armor something that was field or factory fitted? IE, would markings be on the tank hull even though the shurzen would obscure them, or would they more likely be applied to the shurzen? And what about numbers: there seems precious few examples of stugs with numbers of any kind.

the last Sud i done the Numbers were on the side armor as well as the black and white cross

Yes. No. And all of the above. Since you mention Schurzen, I assume you are referring to the ausf G version.

Schurzen was both field and factory applied. Some units received kits to update older stugs. Some units didn't like the factory versions so replaced them with field fabricated kits.

Try this link for a little more explanation:
http://stugiii.com/schurzen.html

Regarding markings: I've seen photos of markings & numbers on the hull, schurzen and on both simultaneously. Some are small, some are large, some used stencils, some look hand painted.

Just look at this decal sheet from Bison
http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/bis35068.htm

There is a lot of variation, that is part of what makes German Ww2 armor interesting, it also gives you a measure of license in your builds as markings camo and other details varied not only in time period but from unit to unit as well. I suggest finding some reference photos and working from that if you want to be sure that it is correct. I have dozens of reference books I keep near my bench for that purpose. The images of war series, panzer wrecks series , repairing Panzers vol 1 and 2 are all excellent, but I suggest you start with Sturmgeschutz III on the battlefield, world war two photobook series vol 2
ISBN 978-963-89623-1-7

Questions like this remind me of the "correct paint shade?" questions. Really, you don't have to be TOO pedantic about it unless you're modeling a specific vehicle.

Schurzen and the markings--in practical modeling terms-- are about as individualistic as the camo schemes are. There are so many variations and individual nuances and "one offs" that you can, within reason, find a pretty wide latitude of license in which to portray your model. Did you ever see some of the wild paint schemes on the schurzen?---there's one that looks like Salvador Dali himself painted it!

Latest posts

Back