Marine SBD-1 1/48

Well my friends here I am again.

After a bit of rough sailing with the paint I can update the work in progress. The painting process was: Flat Black overall. Model Master Aluminium Plate on specific panels, Model Master Neutral Gray sprayed in a very random pattern, The same sprayed concentrating on the panels. The look is very subtle but should be picked out ok with pin washes. There was an issue with a sandpaper like surface appearing after the initial spraying and the second spraying of the Gray. It was knocked down with 1000 grit sandpaper.

Mocking-Up-6_zpscenujh34.jpg

The engine was sprayed Gloss Black, Alclad Polished Aluminium, and then the crankcase drybrushed with Flat Gray, The "wires" were painted to instructions as Red (Empire Red).

Mocking-Up-5_zps2vvvltvf.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy with the results although the rough texture was a confusing situation. Still no idea of what it was or why it happened.

Next up is application of decals. At that point for the most part this build will go dark. I will post one photo of the finish but I am trying to determine if this will be written up or not.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

A quick update.

A couple of things. The aircraft has been glossed, decaled, and glossed again. The wheels and hubs have been prepped and painted.

Decals-1_zps8imrswih.jpg

Decals-2_zpsgbg56pn0.jpg

Not looking too bad to be honest. Now the finishing touches can be added. Flaps, wheels, weathering, cowl, prop, and antenna wire are left to add. A final Matte coat to finish it all off. Not far to go on this one.

Also with this update I come to a point where I need to decide whether to write it up or not. I am just not sure on this one. If I do write it up she will go dark until I get a yes or no from the editor.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Latest posts

Back