Marine SBD-1 1/48

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
Tis that time of year again. It is time for my Pearl Tribute.

For this year I am finishing off a sister kit to one I did a couple of years ago. This is the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD -1 from the Marines at Pearl Harbor set.

Option-4_zpsbebzosid.jpg

Joe

So far not a lot of time but I did get through steps 1 and 2a as well as part of 2b. These are constructing the cockpit and all the little details provided. i added the detail to the port and starboard as well as most to the floor. There are some things that I will not add until after I get some paint on this.

Beginning_zpscabn9wig.jpg

Does not seem like much but on the last few this would have taken about four to six weeks.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Great start mate. Looking forward to this one. The Dauntless is a fantastic looking aircraft!

Chris

I like the look of it as well. I hope I can do justice to it.

Joe

And moving right along. Geez this thing seems to be just falling together in the box and I just take the pictures.

Paint on the interior. I do need some touch up but for the most part it looks ok. I may highlight with Chrome Silver just to bring it out a bit more but here it is.

Painted-Interior-1_zpswag7wr27.jpg

And wow is the fit good on this thing so far. This is dry fit only.

Mocking-Up-1_zpsemjtmzfg.jpg

It does not look like it but there is hardly a seam at all. Quite a good fit.

That is it for now.

Joe

Just a brief update from me.

After a few comments from folks who know a whole lot more about these than I do and just a bit of research from me, the interior got a different color. Interior Green. I have seen a site that shows a SBD-1 with original paint. It shows Interior Green. So there I go.

Repainted.

Interior-Green_zpssqfvixij.jpg

Added a couple of the interior parts but for the most part just the color change.

Joe

Many thanks.

I keep looking at the color and wondering if it is right.

Joe

Well I am choosing to move forward on this one.

Detail painting as well as some chipping. I know it might be overdone a bit but I did try to keep it light.

Painted-Interior-2_zps3vvtzfyp.jpg

Next will be to close up the fuselage.

Joe

A quick update showing the fuselage together, the wings on, and the tail feathers attached.

I am really impressed with the fit and the clean attachment of the wings and tail feathers.

Mocking-Up-2_zpsc1wocvqg.jpg

Not much for seams at all. Now to sand them out and get the little bits on.

Joe

Wow ... has it really been two months since my last update on this?

I guess so.

Guess I should show what I have done huh?

Not much really, the interior is ready to go and the canopy is now firmly in place.

She is ready for paint.

Mocking-Up-4_zpsh41oj6gc.jpg

Mocking-Up-3_zpsfsgv3t74.jpg

Paint is next.

Joe

Latest posts

Back