Making Paint

hooterville75

Let me see if I understand this correctly. After a long early AM of researching through various websites and videos on you tube. It appears that you can make your own paints ? I would be interested in trying this because the way I read, its not that expensive to do so.

If I'm understanding this properly, the only ingredients I would need to mix my own acrylic paint is the following :

First I would need a binder - which would make the paint stick to the plastic. (Assuming like a Golden or Liquitex brand).

Second I would need pigment - which would give the paint its color.

Third I would need a thinner - which would make it capable of being sprayed through the airbrush ?

Last but not necessary any additive Id wish to put in the paint for special enhancements ?

Is this theory correct or am I missing something ?

If anyone knows any other information over and above what I listed if you could respond Id greatly appreciate that. I'm interested in actually trying a batch of this if this is the procedure.

Also would this same theory be used for Enamels ?

Then you will need crushed and dried beetles for pigment, lead white, charcol, and various other miscellaneous things. Then you'll have expensive lumpy unstrained goop that may or may not ever dry, bind, or cover properly with a wide brush. Nevermind attempting using it in an airbrush.

I think your underestimating the very finely refined paint products of today. ;) ;D

If you had the chemistry knowledge and equipment to make paint, you'd probably be better off using it for something similar to Walter White's line of work. ;D

Well, I seen several videos of people doing the mentioned above and figured, dang if it works why not get various amounts of bottles of acrylic colored paint out of one bottle of medium verses one bottle out of a Vallejo or Tamiya. If my post sounded comical or downright plain stupid, I apologize in advance as I stated before, I'm disabled on a fixed income and am taking up scale model building as a way to occupy my time. I need to cut corners expense wise anyway I can so this sounded like a perfect way.

If this wont work then please do by all means let me know but if their is a chance this will work Im more then interested in attempting this myself.

Realistically, no. The chemicals used in paints these days are not something an average person can make, let alone obtain. Especially a paint that will adhere to plastic. Paint companies do sell mediums which can be mixed with paints/pigments, but these are expensive and aren't really meant for plastics. The Liquitex site explains their products fairly well. If you want to save money you can always mix paint colors you have to try an obtain a shade of paint you want.

Your cost to output would turn out more pricey in time and supplies. It should roughly take around one month to complete a model....with airbrushing I have yet to spend a whole pot of paint from Tamiya. I wouldn't sweat it too much brother, the fixed budget just means you can only get certain amounts at a time. Online retailers like ehobbies offers tons of options and one shipping fee...same with other sellers. I reckon I've spent all in all....$150 over 6 months for all my paints and weathering supplies. I've used about 6 colors and by far flat black is the most used. I suggest stock up in the biggest amount jars of paint you can get, experiment with the airbrush and learn to conserve. I can honestly say, I've used more in Windex and Rubbing Alcohol ( thinner and AB cleaner) than any paints...also Tamiya Thin plastic cement is totally worth the 5 bucks a bottle. I've used 1/5 of mine on 3 models. If you need help with ideas and such, put the feelers out to the herd, or PM individuals with the inquiries. In summation, don't bother hodge podging together some paints and take solace that Rome wasn't built in a day, so build your supplies slowly as you can. There's no rush,Just enjoy the build :D

You could make your own paint. I have no doubts. But it may take some practice to perfect it. If you buy a Tamiya, Vallejo, Lifecolour etc. you'll notice non are the same. They all have good points, but are different.

The cost of buying your pigments alone could run you some money. Pigments are made from several different sources and some are more costly to produce.

You can get some of that craft paint that can be found just about everywhere. I haven't tried to spray it but I've used the black several times with a brush. Dries nice and flat, however it does come off easy if not fixed.

Don't forget you can mix colours. I do that all the time. I couldn't afford to run out and buy a different colour everytime I needed one. And also, there is no hobby store where I live.

I'm grateful that over half my paint supply I've won and therefore didn't pay a cent for them. That is very satisfying. ;D

Thanks for the info Tbadger. Gotcha. I have a friend that owns a local Building Supply who sells paint paint and more paint lol. He has BIGGGG containers of pigment for in the machine as well as Mediums for their own house blend of paint. He told me anytime they fill the machine with pigments that I could have the empty containers of pigment which normally has three or more tablespoons left in them when they chuck them. So essentially all Id need to obtain was the Medium or any additives Id need. I figured if it was theoretically possible, Id give it an attempt lol. I have been researching Vallejo paints a lot today as well and while its not "policy" to do such, you can thin and shoot the model colors through the airbrush as well but they recomend the Model Air naturally. I think I'm going to get a few colors of both Tamiya and Vallejo and see what happens. While practicing with the airbrush I may just buy some of the buck cheapys at Michaels and thin according to spray through the brush. I dont care how well it sticks till I get control and start spraying on a model lol. Thanks again for the info, its greatly appreciated.

Always a good strategy....just make sure to strain the cheap bottle paints (after you thin them) through a nylon stocking to get the clumps out. I ran into that when I used FolkArt to practice. There's always a small glass of 2% milk and food coloring too on a paper towel :) best way to dial it in and really "get" what the milk ratio is all about.

If you were concerned about thinning normal model paint to spray in an airbrush......making your own paint just increased that difficulty factor by about 100, because now you not only have to thin it properly to run through an airbrush, but you also have to make it properly.

Might be ok to paint a wall in a house with (and even with that I would have my reservations), it isn't going to be any cheaper in the long run, nor be as fine of quality to model paints.

Sure, that is how tanks were painted in WWII....take X amount of pigments, and X amount of a carrier (Kerosene, paint thinner, diesel, gas, etc, etc) slosh it together to make up a color and slap it on the vehicle.

Paint technology has come a long way since then, just not practical to do at home unless you want gallons of the same color.

Latest posts

Back