Magnetic Connectors / Switches

Mikey_W_1980

Morning All!!

Probably a very obvious answer to this, but I'm struggling to find a solution.

I've been trying to locate the magnetic contact switches that some modellers on here use, only I cannot find them anywhere.

What I want to achieve is having one magnet on the base of a model, so that when I attached it to its display base it completes the circuit to light the model up, I'll be installing a switch into the base as well.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for this type of connection switch please?

If it works, I'll be installing on on the Into Darkness Enterprise I'm building next.

Again, Thanks to all in advance.

Mike

Thanks @Grendels

I was looking at these but I wasn't sure if they were correct or not?

Unfortunately they link you kindly gave, the vendor doesn't ship to the UK, fear not though, found someone on Amazon that is selling the exact same for £1.97 for 10...and free delivery!

RESULT! :)

I'm guessing it doesn't matter which way they are soldered? just that the connecting switch is a mirror image of it?

E.G.?

- +
+ -

Hi again,

Upon closer inspection I don't think they will do what I want to achieve. Though I will keep them fo other projects though.

What I want to achieve is this....

The base of the D7 will contain the power source (9v battery) with the wires fed up this inside of the stand to the model.

there the wires would be soldered to a contact, on the under side of the D7 would be a similar contact.

My theory is that when the D7 is attached to the stand, the 2 contacts meet...completing the circuit and thus lighting the D7 up.

Is this at all possible?

I hope that made sense and you can see / visualize what I'm trying to achieve?

Cheers

Mike

I have done something like that, but it is difficult. You will have to run the power separate from the magnetic connection. I did mine by using brass mesh and straight pins. I put the brass mesh on the model, and the straight pins on the base. When they came in contact current flowed. One pin on each side of the base and brass mesh on each side of the magnet.

It did work, but it was fiddly. You had to play with it to get the lights to work. This is one of the reasons I use DC plugs on my models.

Dang, that does sound fiddly, but sounds impressive though?

Do appreciate your advice as well Grendels.

I was thinking about this on my mundane drive home from work last night...and i managed to solve it.

I used a 2.5mm jack lead plug and chassis, tested to see if the circuit would work, and HUZZAH!! it did...so with some carefull drilling and expanding of the access point, the chassis was installed on the under side of the D7, just behind the standard stand point.

The jack lead itself carefully installed on the modified stand with the wires routed through it.

connected all up and the use of a bread board to test and all lights up nicely. The brucey bonus being is that it adds a little more stability to the D7 as well.

All that remains is to finish up the rest of the stand and show it off on here

Finished it all off last night, its rudimentary & more of a technical exercise, but I shall get pics up on here asap.

:)

Latest posts

Back