Ma. K Luna Pawn 1/20

Cave_Dweller

So this was a little spontaneous build I decided to do. The build was very fast on this guy, but I'm slowing down now since I decided to do a diorama base.

Kind of a basic kit and the rubbery joints DO NOT hold any kind of paint, even primer. So posing him is causing a lot of damage that I'll have to clean up later. I may just glue him into the pose I want.

I went with a non-standard Ma.K paint job, I was just thinking what colors I'd like to see, not what is typically expected for the setting. I think I'll add some orange or something warm to compliment the teal. Of course, since its a Ma.K kit, it'll be weathered within an inch of its life. :p

24383316352_ed41ec0801_b.jpg

24465389796_75dc645660_b.jpg

Since I'll have to paint the pilot's head completely and then glue it inside I decided to seal this up just in case I do any airbrushing that might push paint on his head.

23864793653_d7d101ab75_b.jpg

Ready to prime.

23863399884_1b7dbb6e9e_b.jpg

Had a bit of a hard time getting the helmet seams to go away.

24465381566_efa4588fba_b.jpg

Basic paint job done!

24409177631_1f3b073e55_b.jpg

Starting the base, using my hot foam wire cutter to sculpt it a bit.

24196026580_b22d58ce97_b.jpg

Here's how I'll position the suit on the base. The idea is he's using the boulder for support as he scoots around the other rocks, perhaps under fire.

23864764833_36216b568e_b.jpg

I then covered the ground in a layer of floor tile adhesive and covered the sides with spackle to try and even it out.

24196014590_342017c738_b.jpg

Sanded it down a bit and covered with Modge Podge and sand.

24491553875_c883d28a8d_b.jpg

Next I experimented a with a mix of sand and flour, to try and create that powdery lunar regolith.

24409150051_c736e08870_b.jpg

And added some footprints from the suit.

24491541215_3a5f2bacf6_b.jpg

And another little experiment is this. Rather than paint the sides black or something, I'm going to try something a little geological and make the base look like a slice right out of the lunar surface. There's no active geological processes taking place there, no water or wind. But there would have been a ton of fine dust kicked up from billions of years worth of impacts on the surface, and there would likely be a layering as a result of that dust depositing over different time periods.

So I created a little texture with the modge podge and will try to paint it so it looks like layers of packed dust. Hopefully it will work out! ;)

24123860329_1bf91dc939_b.jpg

Cool Color on the suit ;D

What did you use ?

You should insert a Moon Mine TM into the strata -- seen by us but not Greenie :eek:

Cheers ,

Uru

urumomo said:
Cool Color on the suit ;D

What did you use ?

You should insert a Moon Mine TM into the strata -- seen by us but not Greenie :eek:

Cheers ,

Uru

Hah, I'd love to make a moon mine diorama. I used a mix of vallejo game color and vallejo air.

Nice work! I actually got the rubbery joints to hold paint. I used Alclad lacquer primer on mine. It was one of those happy accidents.

Funny thing is I tested it with sprue pieces and the paint wouldn't stick, but the paint on the joints did.

I won't handle mine much, I am afraid that paint will flake off later.

Hah, I'd love to make a moon mine diorama. I used a mix of vallejo game color and vallejo air.
[/quote]

;D , what colors specifically ? I really like the tone

.... You know I meant like a land-mine , right ? -- Though I could really dig a Mining dio ,

I figured it'd be nice to see a hidden delight directly in his path of escape ;D

Happy MaK-ing 8)

Uru

Thanks guys.

For Urumomo, I used Vallejo Air Light Sea Blue (turqoise, really) and a touch of Vallejo Interior Green mixed with Vallejo Game Color Escorpena Green to get the teal, and also did some spotting with Vallejo Intermediate Blue, Interior Green and Medium Sea Grey to break it up and add depth.

Made some progress here, hopefully this weekend I can finish the project!

I more or less finished the base and pleased with how it turned out. Simple 3-layer paint job with Vallejo, and a very light gray drybrush, followed with flicking a brown-black wash all over. I made a small mistake in that I didn't create enough of a boot imprint around his feet, so it looks like he's standing on top of it, rather than sunk in. I've already glued him on, so perhaps I can mix up some dirt+flour+paint and make a little rim around his feet where the regolith would be displaced.

Painted his shoulder orange and applied all decals. Now I need to paint the pilot's head and do final weathering! Which won't be much, at least no rust. Just lots of dust and wear and tear, maybe bleaching of the paint from unfiltered sunlight on the moon?

24512642801_1b5383417e_b.jpg

24568740796_538974d681_b.jpg

24512810851_0f962b5035_b.jpg

Definitely looks ready for the weathering.
Basework looks right on for what you were wanting

Beautifully done, Caveman! I love the base, and your color scheme. When will you reveal the pilot's face?

Cave_Dweller said:
Kind of a basic kit and the rubbery joints DO NOT hold any kind of paint, even primer. So posing him is causing a lot of damage that I'll have to clean up later. I may just glue him into the pose I want...

Yeah, the same goes for the kit hoses. When I build the suits, I replace the soft plastic cover parts with putty. I sacrifice posability, but I like the look I can get by sculpting the folds and creases. And I'm resolved now never to use the kit hoses again. I'm finishing up a Grosser Hund, and the kit hoses are really soft. The first coat of paint has flaked off, and I may just leave them in their natural color. I've been using wire solder of a relatively fine gauge, wrapped with fine beading wire. It holds paint better, is flexible enough to set in a shape, but rigid enough to retain the shape.

Thanks Baron, I still need to paint the pilot's head, hoping to get that done this weekend.

Saw this new pic of the moon taken by the Chinese rover up there, maybe it's more brown in reality than the Apollo shots indicate.

9dfK0pK.jpg

Found this thread a little late, but awesome build so far.

Cave_Dweller said:
Thanks Baron, I still need to paint the pilot's head, hoping to get that done this weekend.

Saw this new pic of the moon taken by the Chinese rover up there, maybe it's more brown in reality than the Apollo shots indicate.

9dfK0pK.jpg

Obviously you're free to paint your terrain whatever color you like. The "color" can also depend on the film used, or the processing. Similar to way all Russian (Soviet) launch vehicles were mistaken for green when they are really gray. The film leaned toard the green side... FWIW ;)

Looking killer! I've seen lunar scenes made realistic by lightly spraying hairspray and then talcum powder over the surface and boots. Maybe crush some grey chalk pastel too.

On a dark green suit, I think the dust would be aparant. Particularly on the lower legs and boots.

I'm loving that base idea! Tons of potential there- you could airbrush it rust orange and make Mars!

Jason Abbadon said:
Looking killer! I've seen lunar scenes made realistic by lightly spraying hairspray and then talcum powder over the surface and boots. Maybe crush some grey chalk pastel too.

On a dark green suit, I think the dust would be aparant. Particularly on the lower legs and boots.

I'm loving that base idea! Tons of potential there- you could airbrush it rust orange and make Mars!

That's a really good idea on the talcum powder and pastels, I'm gonna have to experiment with that. Thanks Jason!

Go Flight said:
...Obviously you're free to paint your terrain whatever color you like. The "color" can also depend on the film used, or the processing. Similar to way all Russian (Soviet) launch vehicles were mistaken for green when they are really gray. The film leaned toard the green side...

That's an important insight, and not just in this case, but whenever we look at photograph as sources. There's a similar caution for looking at images taken with black-and-white film in the 40's, that rendered reds as black, and yellows were also rendered deceptively.

I think the grays are more in keeping with the minerals known to make up the Moon. Also, we do have samples returned to Earth.

Thread necromancy.

This project has been completed! I kind of went off on a tangent this year when I bought this new bike and rode it all summer. I hadn't picked up a paintbrush from April to September! No regrets though, it was a sweet summer.

25980337684_ef0d874485_k.jpg

Anyway, after being a shelf queen for most of the year, I buckled down and finished this guy. Only took me an evening.

I experimented with Prismacolor pastel chalks on this for the first time, and brushed them over pretty much the entire model after I'd laid down some oil filters. This seemed to really add a rich, powdery depth to the model and I think sells the idea he's walking on the moon.

29849783734_90027d5207_z.jpg

30444047826_987143cc1a_z.jpg

30480419255_cb7c2f3d43_z.jpg

29849793134_b2d7020903_z.jpg

29849797814_94b49907b0_z.jpg

29849802364_9bd21ef6fb_z.jpg

30480431635_9eda91521b_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back